42 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
10.6 K Views
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yea that's the way to go and what makes me a litle nervous about this group is I only know two of the guys through Craigslist and I've really only known them for a little under a year.

But the new drummer wants to get his buddy to play who I know and have super respect as a player, I haven't seen many better in the area, but, wait for it...he's a bit of a prima donna and it's going to be pretty much his way or the highway.

He's in it for the money pretty much and is not doing this just to have fun so the first opportunity that comes up that might pay him more he'll be gone.

But these guys want to wait for him to say yes or no so I'm keeping my mouth shut for the moment. It sounds crazy not wanting what is one of the best players around to be in yor band but I really think long term..Ha..it's a mistake.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 17/10/2012 5:18 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

Prima Donna huh? Well I'd enjoy the ride and maybe you'll get to play a bunch of nice rooms you otherwise wouldn't be able to w/o him? Could be worse!! :D

Good Luck Brutha!!

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 17/10/2012 8:04 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Tommy it might be possible we'll see like I said I'm keeping a low profile. If I can just go with the flow it'll be OK. Right now it's OK I mean where we practice is close by, we are only playing once a week now and I really don't have any other committments so there is really no down side.

If somehow the drama creeps backin I can always walk away but I'm usually not like that I usually stick it out until it is no more but we'll see. At least it gives me a chance to keep playing with other people regularly.

Posted : 18/10/2012 11:21 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

At least it gives me a chance to keep playing with other people regularly.

very good point. And a few new guys passing through gives you more to learn from. Win win.

Paul B

Posted : 18/10/2012 11:52 am
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

As long as you have some people to play with, no matter how much drama, it's better than nothing. Not entirely true I guess, but right now I would take the drama just to have some people to play with.

There are some situations I find that it's impossible to continue playing with other people. One is if you yourself have to spend all the money towards the band, whilst the others aren't contributing. I can't afford it in my case at least, and there are people who are just waiting to take advantage of you. The other is people whith some kind of mental illness (that actually would affect the social part). It's not as uncommon as you think, and people in arts seem to have a slighlty higher percentage ratio than in other areas. But I'm only speaking from my own experience.

People who don't show up and act as they are superstars and dictators are a real hassle to handle, but it is managable.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

Posted : 19/10/2012 10:00 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Hey cnev :D

I hate to sound like I disagree with other people, but in my experience, playing with a prima Donna totally took all the fun out of being in a band for me.

I guess I just like things to be totally democratic. We equally take turns in choosing new songs to learn, and never veto each other, and we rotate who does the set list for each gig, so that we all feel like we are in equal control. We got rid of our prima Donna as she thought she could just drop songs, or veto our ideas all by herself... It became very annoying so she got the boot, even though she was a super talent.

I would go for the more easy going less talented band member every time.

That's just my personal preference though. :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 19/10/2012 5:18 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Al, been there done that although my experience was more in sports than music I agree 100%. One of the first things my instructor warned me about though was having a girl in the band..HA :lol:

Well I don't have the issue with the prima donna he decided he doesn't have time to join. Which is actually a blessing in disguise. I'm not sure that was the reason but it's good enough at least we aren't going to wait for him.

On the songs we've haven't gotten to that level of democracy yet but close. Anyone and everyone picks songs but sometimes they don't think about the songs they are picking..like if the singer can even sing them, does it fit with the rest of the music etc.

So I only object if it's song that doesn't make sense with what we are already playing.

As for the set lists we've let the singer do it although I think it was pretty much the same for every show with maybe one or two songs switched around.

Posted : 19/10/2012 6:09 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Latest update:

Decided to put an ad on Craigslist looking for lead guitar. So far I have 6 responses one from the guy we started with who the drummer kicked out to get his buddy in...small world eh.

And we also have a female that is interested.

If the original guitar player Dave is interested I would take him in a heartbeat, this guys been doing shows for 20+ yrs and is a great guitar player and easy to get along with.

So we will try and start auditions this week.

The old drummer and guitar player are supposedly starting a band and they want to play G&R, Zep etc. I like the music just don't know if they'll find a singer to do it justice.

Actually started working on 3 G&R songs Night Train, Mr. brownstone and Sweet Child of mine. Man there is alot going on underneath all those Slash solo's defintely not the usual rythm stuff alot or riffs, key changes etc. Actually this should be a good workout learning these.

Posted : 23/10/2012 5:46 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

Cool!!! Hopefully it comes full circle for you!! :D

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 23/10/2012 5:56 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Tommy same to you. I'm just going to lay back and let this all play out and see where it takes me.

If I start worrying about things the only one it's going to stress out is me so there is no fun in that.

I just want to get back to where we were and play some shows. Personally I wouldn't even mind if we didn't play shows either as long as we were serious about playing etc but no one else really wants to do that very long so I know that's not an option.

Posted : 23/10/2012 6:17 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Talking about Izzy from GnR, he was a great rhythm player. He definitely wasn't just strumming open chords or playing power chords back there. His playing reminds me of Keith Richards. I read Slash's autobiography and he was very complimentary of Izzy's playing.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 24/10/2012 12:20 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

jeff man that's for sure I never tried learning any G&R songs until now because I never really thought I'd get to play them with anyone.

But yea there is a heck of alot of stuff going on there. He's doing almost as much stuff as Slash is during the solo's.

Technically they might not be super difficult but they are a notch above almost allt he songs I currently play so if nothing else it will be good for the practice.

Posted : 24/10/2012 10:41 am
Page 3 / 3