Band Saga Part 3

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

First off I'm trying to beat TR to see who does a gig first..Ha just kidding but it seems like both of us are moving in similar directions and it's all been happeneing in the last few weeks.

Anyway most of you know how we lost our guitar player to a heart attack. We found another one who is working out great, but we went through some drama with the bass player and drummer a week ago and the bass player kicked the drummer out. But then I got an email from the bass player saying he was doing some show with another band and told me to look for another bass player.

Well it just happens that we practiced last Friday and I was finally able to get the singer to come by and this guy is the real deal. Been singing since he was in Jr high and has a music degree not that it matters but the point is he has some skills. So he comes by now we finally have a singer but no bass player.

I had asked my instructor if he knew any bass players and he called last night to tell me about a guy who lives a few miles away that wants to play.

I know this sounds like great news and it is but it's a bit different than what it started as and I'm not sure what to make of it yet. I mean when I first started I thought if I could just play some songs with my buddies one night a week or so and sit around drink some brews and hang out that would be fun, maybe a party or something. I always envisioned this being just my friends not that I was against playing with other people it was just that it was intended to get this serious.

But now the group has changed 180 degrees and it's a whole new band with a new guitar player, bass and singer and I'm surrounded by musicians that are all better than myself and it's a little intimidating to some degree. That and the fact that by default I have somehow now become the "leader" which isn't necessarily the job I wanted.

But the good thing is these new guys will hopefully raise my level of playing, otherwise I'll be the first one to get the boot but also because they bring new ideas to the band and the singer has a bunch of original songs and we already talked about doing some of those.

Man it's just so crazy to look back just 8 weeks ago and things were so different.

TR maybe we can book a show together? We'd have to find a venue half way cuz it would be a long ride for either of us.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 22/09/2010 5:36 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Can you bring back the drummer that the departing bass player didn't like?

I have recently discovered that it's much easier to play in someone else's band. Still don't have a lot of gigs, but I don't have to worry about anything but the music.

I think a double bill with TR-Fester would be very cool.

Posted : 22/09/2010 6:02 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Laz I have so it's me and the drummer from the original band with 3 new guys. All have been playing many, many years to my 6 or so and I'm sure I'm the wekeast link but I also don't think I sux either so it's not like I stick out yet.

Just weird how things change with the biggest change being I'm outside my comfort zone a little playing with people I'm not that familiar with.

I have to be more PC now. I can't just ask one of them " What the he@@ were you playing dude?" since I don't know them that well...Ha

I guess I should be thankful that we were able to find these guys and get this together so quickly after everything that's happened.

Posted : 22/09/2010 6:19 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Wow, my head is spinning. that was fast. You and TR just whipped together some bands lickity-split. Hopw it goes well. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 25/09/2010 12:58 pm
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Sounds like you've got a good group that can work together. Have fun.

Playing in a band that clicks can be very rewarding. Not that I've had that experience much. I did recently play guitar with a drummer and a keyboardist and a vocal quartet. Probably we'll do it again, but not too often. We had a an unpaid gig at a retirement home this week. I'm sure that's not your intended audience, but all of us are pretty close to the age when we might consider living there. Anyway, it clicked and the time flew by. Sometimes you just get lucky and find the right people to play with.

Renee

Posted : 25/09/2010 3:59 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

After reading TR's post about the drama he's going through I figured I'd give an update on our current drama. As I mentioned we have basically a whole new group since our original bass player texted me and told me to go ahead and get another bass player.

Well I see him Friday and he starts telling me he didn't mean he was quitting the band he thought I kicked him out...Huh? How could I kick him when when I never said anything at all to him other than try and make up with the drummer so we can get back to business. He thought since I didn't make the drummer take his drum set out of my house immediately that I must ahve been talking to him and wanted the bass player out, which was totally false I never talked to the drummer about anything.

So I tell him you screwed up and I already had a bass player and he had just stopped by to pick up a CD of the songs we are working on.

At first he's like OK well let's see how this guy works out but then about 20 min later he starts talking about how he is gonna come back in the band. I reminded him of the mess he made and the fact we already had a bass player so he tells me to can the guy. I told him I'm not cleaning up the mess he made and if he wanted to can him he could tell him but first he had to make up with the drummer and if everyone else is OK with him coming back. He got a bit mad and told me to take charge blah, blah blah and I told him I wasn't going to do that.

Anyway the conversation goes on for awhile about nothing until he brings it up again and then says. I'll come back but only if I'm in charge of the band and call the shots and he will keep the drummer in his place. I looked at him like "What planet are you from"..you are telling us you'll only come back if you are in charge..I don't think so.

I didn't tell him that but he got the impression I wasn't down with his idea because he asked me if I agreeed and I said no and he got mad and stormed out of my house.

Earlier he said he was just going to show up this Friday when we practice and the new guy is here so we will see.

OMG is this crazy!

Posted : 27/09/2010 12:10 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sheeeesh, things just get worse and worse...... :(

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 27/09/2010 1:07 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Other than the how stupid this is it sounds worse than it is. In my book the new bass player is in until he tells me he's not or if he doesn't work out. Playing wise that won't be a problem as my instructor tells me he is really really good but I'm not sure he's down with our music.

So if he likes the music and there is chemistry then the old bass player is SOL as they say. This guy is a long time friend of mine and I feel bad but he's the one that ran his mouth and caused all the problems in the first place so in my mind he made his bed now he'll have to lie in it.

Posted : 27/09/2010 1:18 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I agree. He's only trying to put you in a couple bad spots. Drop da hammer down! :evil:

Roy

Posted : 27/09/2010 2:38 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You are right, this is fun. :lol: Sounds like things are looking up for you as far as making a good band though. Keep us posted on the bass drama. We had a really good band for about a week. :roll: :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 27/09/2010 4:49 pm