Clear all

Battle of the Bands advice?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Well, my band hasn't been playing together all that long, and we're still developing as musicians and as a band. We have had a few small gigs and we are definitely getting better each time. We were playing a mix of blues and classic rock, but we've really been gravitating toward blues and consider ourselves to be a blues band.

So, this new club in the area is looking to bring in some national acts. Mostly classic rock stuff, but also the occasional blues act. They are having a battle of the bands competition to identify some local bands to use as opening acts. I have no illusions that we are good enough to open for a national act, but I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of entering for the experience anyway. I figure that the worse that could happen is that we get some valuable experience. And the best case is that we land a gig either with the club or someone else watching.

My concern is that I think we really need a bit more time before we're ready to really go "out there." I was thinking that we could use this winter to really get good and then make a big push next spring and summer.

What are our thoughts? Can we harm our future image by doing something like this too soon? Or is it worth the shot to maybe find out that we are more ready than we think we are?

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Jim

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

Posted : 19/09/2007 7:47 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Q: When do you know if you're ready for that next big gig?
A: When you step off the stage.

Unless you really don't think you can play your songs safely from start to finish, you should sign up. Plus, usually a battle is made up of very short sets (3-5 songs) so you don't need a lot of depth. Sign up and select songs that you play well, people have heard, and aren't over played.

But then, I often play gigs above my competence. 8)

Posted : 19/09/2007 9:09 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Sign up and do it. It's as close to a can't lose situation as you're gonna get, as long as you have about 5 songs down rock solid.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 19/09/2007 9:57 pm