Big News For British Memers Prince's New CD Giveaway

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter

<B>Prince CD giveaway angers industry</B>

LONDON, England (AP) -- Prince has angered the music industry and stirred up trouble among British retailers by giving away his new album with a tabloid newspaper this weekend.

Prince's new album "Planet Earth" will be packaged with a British Sunday newspaper this weekend.

"Planet Earth" will be packaged with the Mail on Sunday at a price of $2.80.

The giveaway has been roundly criticized as a major blow for an industry already facing rapidly declining CD sales. It has led Sony BMG UK, Prince's local label, to pull the plug on its own sales release of the CD in Britain.

International sales launch for "Planet Earth" is July 16; the U.S. launch is July 24.

Full Story:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/13/prince.newspaper.ap/index.html

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

Posted : 13/07/2007 12:36 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The giveaway has been roundly criticized as a major blow for an industry already facing rapidly declining CD sales.

I think that should be more properly stated as:

The giveaway has been roundly criticized by an industry already facing rapidly declining CD sales

I don't feel real sorry for Sony. They already have made millions off Prince (and will continue to, including this album), yet they still want to have absolute iron fist control over what he does with his own creative work.

More evidence that major label recording contracts are not written with the artists' best interests in mind.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 13/07/2007 2:23 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A lot of newspapers over here give away compilation CD's as a means of boosting sales, but it's the first time I've heard of this kind of promo. I've got my fair share of freebies over the last few years!

To pick one at random - this one was given away with the Mail on Sunday about 3/4 years ago. The paper at the time cost about £1 - roughly $2. Here's the track listing.

1 - Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison
2 - Mr Tambourine Man - Byrds
3 - Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel
4 - Total Eclipse of thr Heart - Bonnie Tyler
5 - Albatross - Fleetwood Mac
6 - San Francisco - Scott McKenzie.
7 - Mr Blue Sky - ELO
8 - Power of Love - Jennifer Rush
9 - 2 out of 3 Ain't Bad - Meat Loaf
10 - Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper
11 - Jin-Go-Lo-Ba - Santana
12 - Everlsating Love - Love Affair
13 - When Will I See You - Three Degrees
14 - Wherever I Lay My Hat - Paul Young
15 - Blame It On The Boogie - Jacksons
16 - 99 Red Balloons - Nena
16 - Down Under - Men At Work
18 - This Ole House - Shakin' Stevens
19 - Stand And Deliver - Adam & The Ants
20 - Hold Me Close - David Essex

That one is called "20 Number Ones" - although I never remember the Santana track even reaching the top 40, and I very much doubt that Mr Blue Sky got to #1. But hey - good value for money, especially as it cost NOTHING! I have about another 40-50 of those giveaways....is it any wonder the industry's losing money?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 13/07/2007 2:53 pm
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

But hey - good value for money, especially as it cost NOTHING! I have about another 40-50 of those giveaways....is it any wonder the industry's losing money?

Well, I'd say it cost $2 and you got a free paper with it... :) J/k.

Super cool to see such a cool and popular artist sticking it to the Man in such a visible way. What a bunch of crybabies to discontinue sales in the UK!

I try not to get too wrapped up in it, but I definitely find myself hating record labels / the RIAA and loving when artists stick it to them like this. They act like some kind of mafia that you need to pay "protection money" to if you want to be a successful musician. I don't doubt they once played a crucial role in the distribution of music and that they still play some role, but at this point every quote I hear from any of those execs make me cringe - like a Universal exec claiming they "deserve a piece" of any money being made in the music business (regarding the fact they get $1 from MS for every Zune sold). Then they can't get a similar cut from iPods, and now they're refusing to renew their iTunes contract. Ok, rant over ;)

Thanks for posting that!

-- Voidious

Posted : 13/07/2007 3:02 pm
(@wylesmyde)
Estimable Member

Well, I'd say it cost $2 and you got a free paper with it

I can't believe newspapers can stay in business in this current age of cyber news.

Posted : 13/07/2007 4:29 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I can't believe newspapers can stay in business in this current age of cyber news.

I buy a paper every day. I like to take my time over the news, read it whenever I feel like it. And of course there's the crosswords, and various other features. The young generation may not like the tabloids, or broadsheets, but those of us who grew up with them tend to prefer them.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 13/07/2007 4:40 pm
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I buy a paper every day. I like to take my time over the news, read it whenever I feel like it. And of course there's the crosswords, and various other features. The young generation may not like the tabloids, or broadsheets, but those of us who grew up with them tend to prefer them.

Vic

Yes there is something to be said for the simplicity of a newspaper, the convienence of being able to fold it up and take it with a drink out to the garden to read in the evening.

Posted : 13/07/2007 8:18 pm
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Vic

Yes there is something to be said for the simplicity of a newspaper, the convienence of being able to fold it up and take it with a drink out to the garden to read in the evening.

They are also much better than my iPod for killing huge bugs that I find in my apartment. :D

-- Voidious

Posted : 13/07/2007 8:25 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

They are also much better than my iPod for killing huge bugs that I find in my apartment. :D
So's a Les Paul, of course. 8)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 13/07/2007 11:49 pm
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Well , you could take out your Johnson and swing at it . Maybe it would die laughing ! :twisted:

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

Posted : 14/07/2007 3:17 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

No need for overkill. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 14/07/2007 3:33 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

There will always be a market for printed media. Have you ever tried balancing a laptop on you knee whilst on the khazi? :mrgreen:

I'm not Princes biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination but I agree it's great to see a major artist sticking it to the man. Hope a few more follow suit.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 16/07/2007 5:12 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It'll be interesting to see the sales figures for the Mail on Sunday this week....generally around the 3million mark, I think. Wonder if anyone else has ever sold 3million albums in one day? Wonder where the album will be in the charts? My bet is nowhere - they'll (meaning the record industry) find some creative way to disqualify it from the charts.

Vic

Posted : 16/07/2007 10:51 pm
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter

It'll be interesting to see the sales figures for the Mail on Sunday this week....generally around the 3million mark, I think. Wonder if anyone else has ever sold 3million albums in one day? Wonder where the album will be in the charts? My bet is nowhere - they'll (meaning the record industry) find some creative way to disqualify it from the charts.

Vic
The charts are already a joke with the record industry practice of "Buying" albums prior to release so that it can hype the record as going "Gold" prior to release

Posted : 17/07/2007 1:15 pm