(@rahul)
Famed Member

RIP Bo.

Posted : 03/06/2008 5:41 pm
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I got to meet Bo a long time ago - around 1980 or so.

He was playing in a little dive in Chicago that only seated a couple of hundred. I'd talked my roommate into going with me, and it turned into quite an evening.

I remember the opening act was a group called the "Chicago Diamonds". Never heard of them before or since, but they opened with "Green Onions", and from the first note their keyboard player was an absolute monster - all over his Hammond B-3. The music was great, the place was packed, the beer was reasonably cheap, and we quickly got to feeling good.

Bo came on and did his first set. He was awesome, and we were seated maybe 15 feet from the stage (we'd gotten there early). The last tune he did in the first set was a rollicking "Who Do You Love", and by this time we were feeling great - especially because we'd gotten there so early :)

We were both single at the time, and we'd offered to buy a couple young ladies some beers. The place was packed, and we elbowed our way to the bar. Got the beers, and turned to head back to the table - and when roomie turned, he turned directly into Bo (who was coming out of the restroom), which resulted in Bo getting drenched by the beers in Tim's hands. We're grabbing towels off the bar to dry him off and apolgizing like mad.

He took it in stride, like this happened to him twice a day before lunch. Really went out of his way to make us feel that it was ok, no big deal. Then he spent a good four or five minutes talking to us before he went back on for the second set. Other folks might have been outraged or at least upset, but he genuinely found it funny - or if he didnt', he let us think he did.

I've had the good fortune over the years to meet a number of the early stars of rock and blues. Some were nicer than others, some were pretty full of themselves. But Bo truly had the 'common touch'. Not only a wonderful musician and entertainer, but a truly wonderful human being.

I hope he rests in peace.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 04/06/2008 2:55 am
(@spides)
Estimable Member

I think that this thread has already been a testament to the legacy of Bo. Guitarists from all over the world showing their respect for who, IMHO, if not invented then surely reinvented RockandRoll.

RIP mate.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

Posted : 04/06/2008 3:06 am
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

RIP Bo Diddley and thanks for the great songs. :cry:

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

Posted : 04/06/2008 9:35 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Tom,
Great story and great memory!
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 04/06/2008 10:51 pm
Page 2 / 2