Notifications
Clear all

British Seminar/get-together 2006.....

62 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
24.2 K Views
(@Anonymous)

OK, I may be a newbie here but a meet sounds like a good laff!

I have one little nag in my mind that I can't ignore though..........
I have tried to organise jams before, and this only involved people who went to my university. Hardly anyone actualy turned up even though loads pledged to come, and the few who did turn up made me feel.......inadequate, I think is the word. They were off and running, playing songs I'd never heard of and had no hope of learning to play at that time, while I sat there like a lemon desperately trying to save face, especially as I was the organiser!

So, as a relative newbie to the guitar, (ok 18 months isn't exactly a newbie, but I am totally self taught and am sure that I am no - where the skill level of a intermediate player) who doesn't exactly have a wealth of songs he can play on either an acoustic of electric guitar (mostly I have learnt songs by Green Day as they are my fav band at present, together with a few of Travis's songs) can I come along and not end up looking like a total...........well, inadequate player! (As you might be able to tell, I hold a somewhat pessimistic view, as I have low self-esteem and belief!)

Posted : 01/01/2006 9:40 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Who gives a crap if you're good enough. Maybe I'm a better player then you, maybe you're better then I am. It ain't no competition and if we run out of stuff to do we can always get ourselves another beer. :D

Posted : 01/01/2006 11:19 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Who gives a crap if you're good enough. Maybe I'm a better player then you, maybe you're better then I am. It ain't no competition and if we run out of stuff to do we can always get ourselves another beer. :D

Well said Arjen.

Maybe he just needs to get with the right people and the GN people are the right people.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 01/01/2006 11:51 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

One suggestion would be, anyone who intends coming, post a tab of a song you'd like to do, everyone else can at least have a look at it, we can have a go at that.

There's a wealth of songs in the "Easy Songs" forum...if we can decide on a few of those, then at least we'll all be singing from the same hymn-sheet, so to speak....

Sometime this month, I'll have a wander down to Birmingham, do some preliminary reconnaissance....see if I can find a pub with a function room that's not too dear, and of course sample the beers on offer...sigh - it's a dirty job but someone's got to do it....

How does April/May/June sound to everyone?

Let me know what you think....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/01/2006 12:08 am
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

I'm looking forward to this :)

Personally I think June should be avoided as it gets too close to people going on holidays causing date clashes or lack of money. I'll probably be away some time in June myself but no date booked as yet, myself I'd rather it be April or May.

As for songs.. I'm one of those people that probably know or have known thousands of songs but guarantee I wouldn't remember any one of them on the night :)

I used to have this same problem everytime I got together with people and came up with the idea of writing a ton of song titles on the back of the guitar for a reminder.. maybe I'll get round to actually doing that for this occasion. :)

Lee

Posted : 02/01/2006 12:53 am
 joak
(@joak)
Eminent Member

Im in the same position as you are newbie 101477???? I aint too hot at the playing either but I really do enjoy it. if you can play travis you are probably better than me, Im hoping to learn and enjoy the meet up.Im giving it a try and I think you should too. look on it as an adventure and enjoy it all

Posted : 02/01/2006 11:13 am
(@Anonymous)

Well with supoprt like this how can I refuse?!?! you guys are great, looking forward to the meet now!

May / June is not good as I have exams and end of year coursework due. April is best for me. But obv. im just one guy!

Posted : 02/01/2006 11:21 am
(@ranger)

As i said in the other thread by Pet i will be willing to come to one of these meets.. As I will be in Kent in the summer it might be cool to meet up with a few people in london from the south and travel up together.. Totally up to u guys.. Im not too afraid of being shown up by other guitarist if there is drink then who cares!

Design me a Qpr guitar and i will pay you with more than just money!
Equipment = http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM00/Content/Korg/PR/AX100G.html http://www.rockinn.co.jp/shopping/guitar/epiphone/epi_dot_ch.html

Posted : 22/01/2006 4:57 pm
(@alangreen)

How does April/May/June sound to everyone?

May sounds good - we're in Vienna for a while in April and June starts to encroach on the holiday season

Vic - if you need a contribution to the cost of hiring a venue let me know. I'm sure I can come up with some wedge, even though the prestige of hosting the UK section of an internationally renowned organisation ought to be enough for most places to do it as a freebie LOL

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 22/01/2006 5:58 pm
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Re' function rooms, the NEC has some good size ones :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
and if we booked one up in May we might be able to persuade Eric Clapton to drop by, as he's playing there on the 11th. (Just to show him how its done mind) you :lol:

Or we could take over the airport hotel around the corner :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

Posted : 22/01/2006 6:00 pm
(@alangreen)

Anywhere with a spit 'n' sawdust floor that does a decent pint of Stella Artois will be fine by me. All I need to know is what we're playing and how many guitars to bring.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 22/01/2006 10:10 pm
 joak
(@joak)
Eminent Member

has this bitten the dust its gone very very quiet

Posted : 14/03/2006 7:15 pm
 joak
(@joak)
Eminent Member

I will take that as a yes then and make plans for something a bit more productive than internet chat

Posted : 23/03/2006 5:30 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

This looks like it's going to fall by the wayside again, which would be a pity - I tried to get somrthing started, find out how much feedback there'd be, and hopefully find a venue - unfortunately, things have conspired against me, a broken arm (a couple of months back) and a disabled Mrs who I can't really leave to fend for herself means I'm not going to be able to do anything more.....but if someone else wants to take over, be my guest.....sorry guys, but a lot of my time is going to be spent looking after Marilyn - she comes first, second and third before I even think about picking up a guitar......

My apologies,

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 15/04/2006 12:07 am
(@davidhodge)

sorry guys, but a lot of my time is going to be spent looking after Marilyn - she comes first, second and third before I even think about picking up a guitar......

My apologies,

Vic

That is nothing to apologize for, ever!

Keep at it and something will happen. Someone will get it together at some point.

For what it's worth, and it's a long way away, it turns out that my girlfriend (and musical partner) has a writer's conference in Manchester, but that' next year in October of 2007. So if anyone's still reading Guitar Noise at that point in time, I'm hoping to be able to finally meet some of you! Save me a lefty guitar...

Peace

Posted : 15/04/2006 1:03 am
Page 3 / 5