Brook Mays filing bankruptcy

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I know interest in this will be limited cause I think most of their stores are in the Texas/Oklahoma area but a few weeks back I went to Brook Mays looking for a cheap Squier type guitar. The salesman didnt seem all that interested in selling me one and also let it "slip" that they were being sold the next week but he said he didnt think they had a buyer yet. Well, that didnt really make sense. If they were being sold in the next week you would thiink they would have a buyer lined up.

Then on another forum I visit (Pianoworld.com) I found THISlink. So I dunno. Might be worth it to stop back in and see if they have some good deals.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 18/08/2006 2:04 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Cool! I hate to see anybody go bankrupt, but I see the potential for some good deals there! And, it just so happens that I have to pass a Brook Mays twice a day, five days a week! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 18/08/2006 3:08 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I get GAS just thinking about it..to bad they don't have a store in South Carolina..thank god for MF :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 18/08/2006 3:25 am
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I wish I'd seen this when it first posted. Smoking Dog, there is one in south Charlotte, off 485 @ South Blvd. It probably isn't/ or was not more than 20 -25 minutes from you in Rock Hill. Maybe, I'll swing by there tomorrow and see what's up.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

Posted : 27/08/2006 1:48 pm
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member

That's weird because they just converted a local Larsen's Music store to a Brook Mays store. What are they doing buying stores if they are going broke?

Lucky for me, I also get to drive past one several times during my work day. I may have to stop in tomorrow and see if they are any good deals.

Posted : 05/09/2006 2:48 am
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Bankruptcy is different for business. For you or me, it means we'd be broke... but for a business it means they can cancel contracts, get out of leases, and negotiate settlements with their vendors. Lots of companies go through it more than once (K-Mart has done it twice in the last 15 years or so).

What usually happens is that the owners - the shareholders - lose some or all of their money. The vendors lose some or most of their money, but usually pick up an ownership stake in the 'new' company.

Oh, yeah... and management keeps their jobs. No wonder it's such a popular option for management to take when times get tough!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 05/09/2006 3:04 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

That's weird because they just converted a local Larsen's Music store to a Brook Mays store. What are they doing buying stores if they are going broke?

Lucky for me, I also get to drive past one several times during my work day. I may have to stop in tomorrow and see if they are any good deals.

Its funny, we have two close by here. One is, like you said, a former Larsons (Oh wait, I think you and I are in the same city) and the other has always been a Brook Mays as far as I know. The one that has always been that way seems to be trying to sell all of their stuff the last time I went in. Not sure about the old Larsons.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 05/09/2006 8:53 am