Skip to content
Butterflies before ...

Notifications
Clear all

Butterflies before my gig tomorrow night...

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Got my second gig with the new band Late Calling tomorrow night. Started to get butterflies about 11 this morning. I emailed the band and they said they'd never had it that early. I do for every gig. It always starts the day before.

On the day of gigs I have a hard time eating much food. Not a good thing when you have to play until 2am. I'll eat a small burger about 2 hours before we start.

For this gig there's an added helping of butterflies. We had a practice last Saturday and ran through the songs. After the two female singers left we jammed with me, lead guitar player, drummer & bass player. We tried some new tunes and even switched instruments. Drummer played my guitar, I played bass & the bass player drummed & sang.

It was cool until I got an email that Hey Joe (Hendrix) & We're an American Band (Grand Funk) was added. I listened to Hey Joe a bunch & typed it. I'm not so worried about that one because it's slower. But I'll have to make a patch to use for that song.

I typed up WAAB maybe six months ago. I quit messing with it because I could not get the riff. I have the chords for all but 4 lines in the song one of which is "Sweet sweet Connie doing her act, she had the whole show and that's a natural fact." I think it's a D just before sweet and a C just before she. The part I don't know starts on natural.

I emailed the band and said either I'd just play the D & C on those lines then stop or not play on those four lines at all. Likely the latter will prevail. Between the two songs it's only 6 minutes so I guess it's not huge. Still, I'm not a fan of practicing a song once and playing it a a gig. Pretty risky.

I'll get my Pepto out tomorrow to calm my stomach... :shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 16/06/2006 10:40 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

By the time you read this your gig will be over, hope you did well. Make sure to give us a report.

I tried to figure this song out, this is all by memory, but it should be very close.

Mute strings with fretting hand

e------------------------------------
b------------------------------------
g------------------------------------
d--7-----7-7---X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X---
a--5-----5-5---X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X---
1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a
/ / / / Put accent on hash marks
d u d d u d u d u d u d u

b------------------------------------
g------------------------------------
d--7-----7-7---X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-0-0---
a--5-----5-5---X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-0-0---
/ / / /
d u d d u d u d u d u d u

C

e----------------------------------
b----------------------------------
g----------------------------------
d--5---------5---------------------
a--3---------3-----------------0-0-
e----------------------------------
d u d u

e---------------------------------
b---------------------------------
g---------------------------------
d------3i------2i-----------------
a—-5r------------------3i------3-- Go to D chord
e---------------------------------
d u u u u

The fingering at the end is just a suggestion.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 18/06/2006 9:58 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well.............. how did it go??

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 18/06/2006 10:27 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I'll have to try that tab when I get home. That song went over ten times better than I thought. I swear I worry way too much. I did only play the D C part and not your single note thing on the 4x they do that. Everyone really pulled it together on that one. You'll see a gig summary up shortly.

And, for the first time, I didn't take any Pepto the day of the show. It's a first!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 19/06/2006 6:34 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Good to hear it went well Dennis. Looking foward to a summary.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 19/06/2006 6:46 pm