Clear all

By the numbers .. Things are adding up!

17 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, I just have to bragg about this. My little girl has made it through college. She needs to student teach in the fall and pass a couple of teaching certification tests, but my daughter is a mathmatician! :mrgreen: She could have participated in graduation this spring but has opted to do the December ceremony when she is officially done. As I understand it that she has her degree with a major in mathmatics as of now, but doesen't have her secondary education major or isn't a teacher obviously until these other requirements are met. It didn't come easy to her, she has worked very hard and I am very proud. In first grade when asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, she said a math teacher. She has had so many teachers along the way tell her first she wasn't college material and then once in college that mathmatics were not for everybody. Well, she sure showed them all now didn't she. She has a 3.0 GPA and thats not going to change as the student teaching is pass/fail. Want to hear something funny? She has also been obcessed with Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland since she was little. Turns out Lewis Carroll's real name was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson. She recently studied another body of his work. Apparently he was a brilliant mathmatician. She tells me that some of the characters in the story are actually mathmatical proofs. I don't understand it, but she does and thats all that matters.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 27/05/2008 7:29 am
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Congrats

Thats awesome man ...

We have something in common dude my little girl started teaching last year , I understand how proud you are

Congrats to Ms T R :)

Cheers

Trev...:)

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 27/05/2008 8:24 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great news TR! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 27/05/2008 9:58 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

TR isn't it a wonder when the children know what they want to be. her GPA is average but she sounds advanced. good for her.
I have awe for people that understand and are thrilled with mathematics. it is my weakest suit.
three cheers for your daughter.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 27/05/2008 10:18 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Good for her. Math gets tough in kawledge. Be darned if I can remember a thing from it though. At least with teaching she'll remember it. I've got engineer friends who use it daily and are in their 50's. Lowly database developers need little algebra & beyond. :oops: :roll:

What age groups does she want to teach?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 27/05/2008 11:15 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That's great, TR! I'm sure you're a very proud papa! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 27/05/2008 1:42 pm
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Congrats TR.

WOOT! Another Teacher.... Very cool. We need more!! :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

Posted : 27/05/2008 1:50 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That's great news TR, congrats! Over here I've always found it strange that girls and boys are equally talented in math until they reach highschool after which boys suddenly get the edge. For some unknown reason most math teachers I've had (and I've seen a bunch, thanks to my not-so-smooth 8 year-long highschool period :twisted: ) seem to expect less of girls and are less inclined to help them get a grasp of it because they don't expect it'll work anyway. i've heared it's no different elsewhere in the world and what you tell me seems to confirm it. That makes an already impressive archievement even more impressive!

Posted : 27/05/2008 4:02 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Good on her, TR! :mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 27/05/2008 5:31 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Awesome. Great news. You should be proud!!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 27/05/2008 7:50 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well TR since you did such a great job raising her I think you should go out and reward yourself with some new gear...maybe a new guitar or something!!

Let the celebration begin...oh and nice job by your daughter too!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 27/05/2008 7:56 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Hmmmmm ... didn't think of that. :lol: Thanks for your kind comments everyone. I just had to tell everyone about this and share my joy.

Posted : 28/05/2008 3:39 am
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

Right on Dad! My youngest son has been teaching high school math for 5 years now, and he loves it.

Walk proud :D

Have a safe and pleasant day.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Framus Texan 5/296 12-String
Takamini EG-345C 12-String
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard

Posted : 28/05/2008 7:01 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Hey, that is cool! 8)

Posted : 29/05/2008 2:49 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Brilliant - i am a teacher myself (and my wife actually teaches maths also) so i know what a rewarding job she has!! top banana!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 29/05/2008 7:45 pm
Page 1 / 2