Clear all

Christmas Gig alert!!

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I hate Christmas Music, but I'm getting paid, so I'll fake it.

Kenwood Terrace Retirement home here I come!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 07/12/2010 4:26 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Go for it! How many songs you got on your Christmas playlist?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 07/12/2010 12:09 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks, it'll be a good time!

As for my set list....right now??? Um.....none. LOL. Here's kind of how the conversation went:

"Hi, this is Julie from the Kenwood Terrace Retirement Home, we got information about you from a former employee Steven Jones (he's one of my best friends). We were wondering if you would be interested in coming out and playing a Christmas set, roughly 30 minutes, during dinner time."

"Sure, not a problem! I'll be glad to come out!"

"Great! It's going to be on the 18th of December at 4:30pm, we can pay you $50 for a 30 minute set, but please be there by 3:30 so we can get you all set up!"

"No problem, thanks alot!"

click

Okay....now to learn some Christmas stuff LOL. I just went on the idea of, if you can't do something, say you can and then fake it. The arrangements I have are fairly simple, and I'm confident that I'll be able to learn about 10-12 songs in that time. I won't have them memorized, but I'll have a music stand with the music with me.

Posted : 07/12/2010 12:32 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

learn the Twelve Days of Christmas finger style. it actually is fun to play.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 09/12/2010 6:54 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Irecorded a bunch of Christmas songs a few years back. Not sure what I did with them. Must be on a CD somewhere. :wink: Have fun!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 09/12/2010 7:26 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I found a halfway decent 12 days of christmas, I'll put it in there, not difficult to play.

TR, break out that CD!

Posted : 10/12/2010 10:36 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

Gigging as a solo guitarist must be a bit nerve wracking - but this also sounds like it will be a fun gig to play.

keep us all informed on how it goes.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 10/12/2010 4:54 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yeah, it's nerve racking as all get-out. I also figure that if I hit a wrong note, there's a good chance they won't be able to hear it! :lol: :lol:

....no presents for me this year with that comment.... LOL.

Posted : 11/12/2010 4:28 am
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Yeah, it's nerve racking as all get-out. I also figure that if I hit a wrong note, there's a good chance they won't be able to hear it! :lol: :lol:

Excellent :-)

Enjoy the gig :mrgreen:

Posted : 12/12/2010 9:54 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Good news Joe! :D

On songs, What Child Is This. Surely you will be able to play it in a few minutes!

Posted : 12/12/2010 2:28 pm
(@tornadoalley)

On songs, What Child Is This. Surely you will be able to play it in a few minutes!

Or if you can't find 'What Child Is This?' you could always play 'Greensleeves'... :twisted:

Good luck with the show. I'm sure you'll have fun.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right..." - Stewie Griffin

Posted : 13/12/2010 7:51 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I think I'm going to stay away from the religious songs, and play things like Frosty the Snowman, Jingle Bells, Let it Snow, etc.

I put Christmas Gig, but it's really a "Holiday Gig" I'm just used to calling things Christmas.

It's not something that they mandated, I just am going to stay from it.

I'll do a report on Monday or so.

Posted : 13/12/2010 6:24 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Hi Joe,
How did the gig go? Did you get them jiving on the zimmers? :lol:

Posted : 27/12/2010 11:24 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

LOL! No I don't think I get them jiving or anything LOL.

It's been really crazy around here, so I haven't posted as much and forgot about writing about this gig.

The gig went pretty smoothly, I played for about 45min, not all Christmas, but mostly Christmas. Played some classical pieces as well. A piano guy followed me.

I just kind of setup and they did a small introduction and I started playing, got some compliments, heard some grumbles (not directly to me) about "rather hear a CD over the speakers" LOL.

But it went smoothly, good words from the folks that booked me.

I wasn't nearly as nervous as the first time I played out which was great, more confidence etc.

Had fun!

Posted : 27/12/2010 7:08 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Excellent, sounds like it went really well, and you managed to have fun too - yeah!

Posted : 30/12/2010 9:39 am