Clear all

Clapton tonight

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I get to spend most of the day w/ my younger son at a karate tournament (he's not competing at this one, he just joined the team a few weeks ago). Then my oldest son and I will head downtown to catch Slowhand live w/ Roger Daughtry. Apparently, he's stripped down his band to just a 5 piece, so he's the only guitar. Will be nice to really get to hear his playing. I've heard the show is pretty short. For the prices I paid for the tickets, he should play for about 6 hours.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 27/02/2010 12:46 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Who is the bassist now? Weeks?

http://whereseric.com/eric-clapton-tour/25/02/2010

It seems Weeks is in the band, and Gadd on drums... I don't remember that rhythm section in his DVD but it has to be terrific!

Have fun!

Posted : 27/02/2010 3:13 pm
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

I get to spend most of the day w/ my younger son at a karate tournament (he's not competing at this one, he just joined the team a few weeks ago). Then my oldest son and I will head downtown to catch Slowhand live w/ Roger Daughtry. Apparently, he's stripped down his band to just a 5 piece, so he's the only guitar. Will be nice to really get to hear his playing. I've heard the show is pretty short. For the prices I paid for the tickets, he should play for about 6 hours.
Good for you jwmartin! You'll have to give us a review!

Jim

Posted : 27/02/2010 8:00 pm
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Have a good time take some pics:)

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Posted : 28/02/2010 1:14 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I screwed up spelling Roger Daltry's name :oops:

It was Willie Weeks and he was excellent. Nothing flashy, but he held down the bottom end like a champ. The band was only a five piece. Drums, bass, two organist/piano players and Eric on guitar. And 2 background singers.

Set list details are below, so if you are seeing a later show and want to be surprised, stop reading.

Roger opened up w/ some Who songs (I Can See for Miles, The Real Me (his bassist was excellent), Behind Blue Eyes, Squeezebox, Baba O'Riley) and a weird mix of other covers.

Eric came out and played some electric stuff (Tell The Truth, Going Down Slow, Key to the Highway, I Shot the Sheriff, Old Love). The solo from Old Love was incredible. He then sat down and played Driftin' on acoustic. At that point, he introduce a special guest, Vince Gill. He came out with an acoustic and they played Nobody Loves You When You're Down and Out, Running On Faith, Rock n' Roll Heart and Layla. You could tell Vince didn't know the songs, but he played a few very tasty solos. Eric switched back to electric (and Vince left) and played Badge, Little Queen of Spades (awesome solo, sounded like bits of Have You Ever Loved a Woman), Before You Accuse Me, Wonderful Tonight and Cocaine. Came back for an encore with Vince and they played Crossroads (Vince played another good solo).

It was a pretty short show (especially considering tix were $70 a piece in the nosebleed section), but it was worth it because of the great music. Eric barely spoke, he just played and said "Thank You" a few times (except for introducing Vince).

Posted : 28/02/2010 3:48 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thanks for the review! :D

Posted : 01/03/2010 8:49 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Here are some pics from our local rag. He was playing a beautiful Strat all night (except the acoustic set). It looked brand new. It was a greenish/gray metallic w/ pristine maple neck. These pics don't do it justice.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=DN&Dato=20100228&Kategori=TUNEIN&Lopenr=2280806&Ref=PH

Posted : 02/03/2010 1:37 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've seen pictures of Clapton playing all colours of Strat, just never the colour that he originally wanted for his signature guitar - Seven-Up green.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 02/03/2010 11:20 am