Down Payment Blues

Notifications
Clear all

Down Payment Blues

Page 1 / 2

(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well. It's been a year and a half. I'm still looking for work. Been on just a few interviews but nothing has come through. It is starting to get difficult. Thing is, I still have my guitars and I still play every day. Its the ONLY thing keeping me sane. For those of you who remember, I am still working on opening a nightclub. I've formed a company and I've been doing research regarding the best location, etc. Coming up with the capital $ is pretty difficult though. I think I'm going to take a "Performing Arts" approach to getting a loan or a grant. But I've heard that the gov is tightening its belt regarding those types of grants. I do have some general research questions for you all but I'll need to post that in Opinions.

So, anyone else had the down payment blues for some time now?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

a year and a half! that is freakin me out. three weeks ago my job of sixteen years was eliminated. at the moment I feel I am on vacation. I guess that'll change when I realize no more money is coming in. hang in there. I hear the economy is changing for the better. I wonder for whom?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It is not a good moment. Everybody says things are improving but everybody is reducing expenses and staff. It is time to keep the hope and the calm. And look for new jobs and new activities.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Sorry Blueline and dogbite. That's rough. I mean it, I can read behind the lines, and that type of situation ain't easy.

I can not buy anything I might want now with cash, only credit. But it's wiser to pay existing bills instead of adding more.

I have an extra vehicle that has been sitting for awhile, that needs work, and the bill would be as much as anybody would spend on a really good guitar or a stellar amp or amp/cab. I want to repair this van (only "damage" is from sitting) and give it to my son, or buy him a utility vehicle. To do that, I will have to shed guitars and amps; selling stuff isn't easy with no buyers? The cost of a vehicle that will be practical or reliable is at least 5 or 6 guitars and a couple of amps.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yup. The LAST thing I want to do is sell my guitars. Randy, sorry to hear that bro. Hopefully you will find something soon. Its not been easy. I've really had to watch my budget. It gets tough around the kids birthdays and holidays. Add the cost of getting a divorce in the midst of this and I've had quite a nasty few years. Oh well. Things can only get better.
I think.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Matt, things will get better! Keep positive! :D

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Matt, things will get better! Keep positive! :D

Yes. I agree!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Matt, I hope something comes down the pike soon. Sheesh!!!

dogbite, I had not heard this. I'm sorry to hear your position being eliminated. On the same note, happy vacation.

My wife got cut 6-7 weeks ago. Longggggg story, but she's enjoying her time and de-stressing.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks bud! Hope your wife enjoys time off. Be aware that time off de-stressing quickly becomes time off stressing. There's lyric in there somewhere!

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I've been in a similar boat, but never that long. During my first divorce, right after we filed, I lost my job. Christmas and kids' birthdays followed. Not much fun, but it happens. Have you looked at finding investors? You bring the ideas and work and they front the money?

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

<snipage>... Have you looked at finding investors? You bring the ideas and work and they front the money?

Yes indeed. I have spoken with my partner and we both agreed that investors would be a good idea. In order to properly present the ideas and vision for the club, I need to document everything. Including but not limited to; our business plan, projected budgets and success factors.

There is a tremendous amount of research needed to accommodate that type of documentation. I've been in the NYC Library more than I have in my entire time at school!

Its all good though. I just wish I could produce that stuff quicker.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Good luck with the club idea Blueline. I'm sure it has merit. But it takes time - do what you have to do: moving forward.

I wonder what happened to the Iridium; I guess it will be the same, and will be an old hangout with a pedigree and value.

I just checked here, looked at the Stock Markets etc. I still have no money and no shortage of debt from speculating.

So of course, a good car comes up that I should buy my son, after looking at so many - people hang on to their valuables? I mean there is so much junk for sale, people are selling their scrappy beaters when there's nothing left? A new economy?

And the Taylor guitar that I wanted has come on the market used by owner, played a few times, so dang what timing!

That doesn't really matter, because I got the Tacoma instead, slightly owned with no signs of any use, and I like it. It would be greedy of me to buy another guitar, when I am trying to fix my van for my son, or get him a car for work. As
I mentioned, without trying to diminish your concerns and your serious topic, I have to SELL guitars in order to do that.

Well, again, all the best with your plans and the venture. I'm sure you deserve every bit of success you can get, with all the time and work and planning! I hope it works out.8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again Blue Jay! Yea, I've seen a few guitars that I've wanted very badly over the past year but alas, no money = no guitars. Oh well, there's always next year.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Matt, I was just thinking. Maybe a short term, low rung on the ladder type of job in a place like what you want to open? It might get you in that environment in a position to learn the business a bit more. Not the $$ aspect for sure, but at least watching customers' reactions every night, listening to the boss's rants and raves, the sound guy's moans and groans and how best to manage the groupies' beer spilling.

Search around different banks or other financial institutions. You might be surprised to find one that might be taking advantage of a bit of government doing some small business subsidizing, tax breaks or partial backing (like "insuring" 20% of loan balance to the "bank" reducing risk). That kind of thing. Look out for VCs wanting control. Mighty high price to pay for some backing and can really back-fire on you. I looked into something along that line of financing about 15-20 years ago during a thought process and was encouraged by what was available. Alas, I didn't like my own business model. I'm too cynical. I was right, though. A business just like what I was thinking about doing failed. They did a really good job, too. Small retail just can't compete in this area.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think you are correct Roy. Thanks for the suggestions. I actually did spend some money on bartending school. I learned alot from that. Not the same thing you are talking about, I know, but close. I think we're on the same page though. The thinking is/was, to get a job as a bartender and learn that way. I'm looking to pursue that course of action. Although, I've been sending my resume out to other corporate jobs,(shuttering )and I'm very hopeful for another job at a place similar to The School of Rock. REALLY hoping for that one!

Getting the funds to open my place is going to be tricky. I'm on board with you. Investors can have a down side. While I'm not totally against the idea, I'd rather stay away from it if I can.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2