Notifications
Clear all

Download Uproar: Record Industry Goes After Personal Use

41 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Journalism majors, in the USA, year after year, are jockeying for having the lowest average SAT scores of any graduating class, along with education majors.

The question was asked, "What do journalism majors do in school?"

One thing they learn is that you don't state "facts" such as the one above without citing a source. :wink:

OH SNAP!!!!!!!!!

In fairness to KP if he cannot find the source, statements made on forums like these are often empirical in nature, meaning that knowledge of the subject at hand is based on being learned from personal experiences and/or exposure.

There's been a saying in the IT field for years. Those that can, do. Those that cannot, teach. Obviously, that line of thinking is chocked full of holes and exceptions, but does somewhat resemble the truth some of the time.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 02/01/2008 4:55 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Back on topic, I still don't understand what they have to gain other than money if I backed-up some CDs of mine to turn into MP3 so that I could listen to them with a MP3 player. It's the same as me backing up an album to cassette (or 8-track back in the day) so that I could listen to it in my car. That was always perfectly legal from my understanding. The more I think about this, is that they are trying to exploit a loop-hole to gain financial consideration.

Problem solved. No-one buy any music for an entire quarter. See, we are the customers, but we have no strong defense against them. Sure they know they are pissing us off, but they also know we will keep buying the tunes. That whole paradigm as a result revolves around them thinking that it is the consumer's privelage to be customers, when in turn, it should be their privelage to sell music to us.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 02/01/2008 5:05 am
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

My daughter is a semester from graduating as a teacher. Her major along with education is mathmatics. If you were to see what she has to do to earn that mathmatics major you would realize that she is like one step below a rocket scientist! Seriously! She has math beyond what it takes to be an engineer. Multivarient calculus, linear algebra, set theory ... all fluff classes. The jocks should take them. She took calculus III 2 1/2 years ago!

Absolutely right -- instead of tensor mathmatics, we engineers stopped burdening our brains with math after diff-EQ, transform (LaPlacian) math and complex variables and were allowed to slack-off in classes on solid-state (quantum) physics, E&M, Comms theory and similar. And all these years later, where did that training lead one: testifing in front of government bodies in hearings on music digital rights management and copyright issues ... I never saw that coming.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 02/01/2008 5:23 am
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There's been a saying in the IT field for years. Those that can, do. Those that cannot, teach. Obviously, that line of thinking is chocked full of holes and exceptions, but does somewhat resemble the truth some of the time.

IIRC, stolen from Woody Allen, who probably stole it from someone else.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 02/01/2008 5:28 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yea, the state of education. It differs with different majors. Still, can we give teachers some credit? They have text books with facts. Hopefully they use the facts for tests.

Further, I'm sad after reading this post. :shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 02/01/2008 7:29 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

If I pay for a CD, I'll rip it to MP3 and listen to it on my computer, my work computer, my MP3 player, in the car etc. I'm paying for the right to listen to the music, not the CD itself (else you can charge a couple of quid tops, not 16), and I'll listen to it as I damn well please. Once the money has left my pocket, I really don't care what the law has to say on the subject.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 02/01/2008 9:53 am
(@davidhodge)

And now that we're back on topic, let's keep it that way. If you've something to say about something not on topic, PM the person in question.

Thanks.

Posted : 02/01/2008 1:04 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Seems like the Post underreported the story. Here's what the RIAA is actually claiming, in a brief filed with the court:

"Once Defendant converted Plaintiffs' recording into the compressed .MP3 format and they are in his shared folder, they are no longer the authorized copies distributed by Plaintiffs."

I added the italics to highlight the key point the Post apparently missed: the guy was allegedly sharing the MP3 files. The RIAA reportedly found his files on Kazaa.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 02/01/2008 1:41 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Seems like the Post underreported the story. Here's what the RIAA is actually claiming, in a brief filed with the court:

"Once Defendant converted Plaintiffs' recording into the compressed .MP3 format and they are in his shared folder, they are no longer the authorized copies distributed by Plaintiffs."

I added the italics to highlight the key point the Post apparently missed: the guy was allegedly sharing the MP3 files. The RIAA reportedly found his files on Kazaa.

Ahhhhhh. That makes total sense now. Thanks!

Roy

Posted : 02/01/2008 6:45 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

If I pay for a CD, I'll rip it to MP3 and listen to it on my computer, my work computer, my MP3 player, in the car etc. I'm paying for the right to listen to the music, not the CD itself (else you can charge a couple of quid tops, not 16), and I'll listen to it as I darn well please. Once the money has left my pocket, I really don't care what the law has to say on the subject.

My sentiments exactly. Amen to that !

Posted : 03/01/2008 1:15 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It doesn't matter what you think about the law. What matters is what the law thinks of you.

Posted : 03/01/2008 1:28 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It doesn't matter what you think about the law. What matters is what the law thinks of you.I am aware of this fact ;)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 03/01/2008 1:40 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Laws have always been made to be broken!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 03/01/2008 7:47 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

When downloads are outlawed, only outlaws will have downloads.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 04/01/2008 2:14 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

It doesn't matter what you think about the law. What matters is what the law thinks of you.

Here, it is also a matter of how in the open you are about things like that. Certainly, if you make your own personal copies and then :wink: personally share those 200000 copies you are going to get caught eventually. If you make personal use and no one is the wiser then there is no way for RIAA or anyone else to know. I cannot stand RIAA but I cant understand how some of these people get caught if they are truely legit. Can someone explain?

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 04/01/2008 3:31 am
Page 2 / 3