Clear all

Drummer Decision Made For Us

15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Our drummer Tommy's mother just called my wife. She found him dead in his apartment today. I don't know any details at this time. This is a Spinal Tap paralell I could have done without. :| I believe he was only 33.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 15/03/2011 8:27 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

OMG! That's awful :(

I'm really sorry to hear that, my condolences to those that knew him...

Posted : 15/03/2011 9:13 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Oh that sucks man. I'm very sorry

Paul B

Posted : 15/03/2011 10:10 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

How sad is that?

:(

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 15/03/2011 10:12 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

That is an unexpected bad turn in more ways than one, so sorry for all. My bro died at that age so I know what it is like. :(

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 16/03/2011 1:32 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Our drummer Tommy's mother just called my wife. She found him dead in his apartment today. I don't know any details at this time. This is a Spinal Tap paralell I could have done without. :| I believe he was only 33.

My condolences, TR.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 16/03/2011 2:03 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

That's terrible news! My heart goes out to you and everyone involved....I'm sorry to hear about that.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 16/03/2011 3:10 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Tommy had problems but was sick too. Osteo from his reattached hand. He just had to have his middle finger amputated. Long term antibiotics and a tunneled catheter for the same. Nausea, diarrhea ..... weight loss ... could have been the cause. Other causes are possible though given the history. 33 year old men don't just die. His mom is our dear friend. She is still in shock. I held on to him for good reason. Despite the screwups he was a great guy. He was a great drumer too. Keith Moon comes to mind. He fit so well with us. When we played it was magic. I have been mulling over getting him out here. Now I have guilt. I am a trained professional. Had I seen him, maybe I could have picked up on something, either mental or physical. We played in mid December, he had basically been hospitalized since then.

I thought we had time, so no pics or videos ... but had you folks seen Wicked Fester! Well, you would know. 8) I so couldn't wait to share my E-Mail from Albert Bouchard, drummer and founding member of blue Oyster Cult, with Tommy. Here is what he said.
Re: Can We?Saturday, March 5, 2011 8:53 AMFrom:"Albert Bouchard" Hi Terry:
You absolutely can cover Vampires. We'd be honored. Your drummer doesn't need a middle finger to play drums. I grip my sticks with my thumb and forefinger (similar to golf grip technique) and use the other fingers to bounce the stick on whatever I'm hitting. People who grip the sticks too tight sound stiff. Drummers shouldn't worry about dropping stick but just get a good system for casually picking up another one while not loosing the beat. If he tapes the sticks just tape them to the thumb and forefinger and let it be loose around the rest of the hand. Tell Tommy to get better soon.
Al

Posted : 16/03/2011 3:31 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

its awful news to hear about a friends death, and at a young age it makes it so much worse.

Hope your all coping well.
Al

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 16/03/2011 10:37 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wow Terry that really sux, my prayers go out to his family losing someone that's only 33 has to be pretty devastating.

I understand what you are going through losing him I know you really wanted to make it work with him, went through the same thing when we lost or guitar player and it's been a struggle to regroup ever since.

I hope everything works out for you.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 16/03/2011 11:10 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hey man. so sorry about the news and tragic loss.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 16/03/2011 12:15 pm
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Thoughts and prayers with his friends and family.

Hang in there- feeling guilty is normal. Not justified, but we do when we lose somebody.

Hang in there,
Ande

Posted : 16/03/2011 1:55 pm
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Dang TR! That's a terrible blow to all concerned. I am at a loss for any other words.

Jim

Posted : 18/03/2011 1:17 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Here is a link to the obituary in case you want to read about who he was.
http://northcountrynow.com/obituaries/thomas-tommy-p-johnston-34-ogdensburg

Posted : 18/03/2011 1:50 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's a gut wrenching story. My condolences to everyone involved. :cry:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 26/03/2011 4:08 pm