Dylan cover competition

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Hi everybody.

My band, Fræbbblarnir, are taking part in a Bob Dylan cover song competition on Rás 2 National radio. We got into the 14 song finals out of some hundreds and the rest is up to listeners. I play bass in the band.

Our contribution is a 1965 single called "Positively 4th Street" that never appeared on an album. It was controversial because Dylan seemed to be dissing his old chums in the folk world.

We're an old punk band of course (active since 1978), so our version reflects that. Perhaps a bit Ramonesy. I experimented with various bass tricks, but settled on simplicity in the end, following the chord roots (G-Am-C-G-D-C-Em7-D) except for a little flourish on the Em7. A busier bassline seem to detract from the song since there are so many chord changes.

I play a Squier Telecaster Bass through an ancient Supro bass amp they had in the studio. I thought the tone was pretty good.

You can hear all the contributions and vote for the song you think is best on:

http://vefir.ruv.is/poppland/dylan-koverlagakeppni-rasar-2/

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

Posted : 13/05/2011 10:57 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Helgi, it sounds pretty good!

The simplest is (almost) always the best approach or the Occam's razor.

I think I voted for your song. I selected it and pressed the "kjósa" button :shock:

Posted : 13/05/2011 5:11 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Sounds good to me. It's one of my all-time favourite songs - definitely in the top 5 - and this is a good version. I actually prefer this version to the Stones' version - I love the high-energy up-tempo twist to the song. Don't think anyone's done a punk(ish) version of this before....but it definitely works for me. BTW, I reckon it's as much Clash as Ramones - extra street cred points for that!

Nice one!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 14/05/2011 11:54 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Good job! :D Always loved that song - especially the last lines "Yes, I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes, You'd know what a drag it is to see you".

I thought the band had a touch of Brian Ferry/Roxy Music going on in the vocals there too.... or was it more of David/ByrneTalking Heads sound? Get my vocalist's sounds mixed up these days...
Helgi, it sounds pretty good!

I think I voted for your song. I selected it and pressed the "kjósa" button :shock:

:D

Me too. And I actually listened to some of the competition too.

Hope you win Helgi.

Chris

Posted : 15/05/2011 5:05 am
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words, and the votes of course.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

Posted : 16/05/2011 6:18 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member