Clear all

End of the line?

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Just curious or perhaps its just me. I have learned so much from this site. Since all tabs have pretty much been removed for legal reasons, I assume there will also probably not be many more lessons like there were "in the good old days" that I spend hours with improving my craft as a musician. Most of the lessons now seem to be more about theory or suggestions, etc. Nothing per say wrong with that, just not what I need at this point usually. Guess what I am saying is I don't see myself "progressing" as I did before.

Are we getting close to the end of this good stuff and learning at this site and others like it? If so, its a shame.

Perhaps I am missing some things here tht might help me in ways I haven't thought of. I am open to suggestions.

None of this is meant as a complaint, just an observation and concern.

Posted : 01/06/2010 2:21 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

I don't think we've reached the end of the line. Think of it like we've hit the pause button for a while.

There will be new lessons. We may rework the old lessons or bring them back intact if possible. We're not going away or going to throw in the towel.

If you need an answer for "when" the old lessons will be back I can't give it to you. Sign up for the newsletter. Stay active on the site and you won't miss anything.

The changes are bumming me out too. Like yourself I'm trying not to complain about it.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 01/06/2010 2:56 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

10-4, completely understand. Hopefully things will get better in the future.

Glad to hear that you guys are continuing to try to work through all this.

Posted : 01/06/2010 3:54 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Guitarnoise has always been more than just another tab site - I've learned a hell of a lot from asking questions in various forums over the last few years. To be honest, I found GN by accident - I'd already found a similarly named site which was mostly about tabs, although there's a couple of applications from there I still use. Trouble was, with the "other" site, there wasn't much feedback on the various tabs, and nowhere to ask questions. I don't think I've EVER asked a question on GN that hasn't been answered to my satisfaction!

I've learned a lot about chords - I'm mainly a rhythm guitarist, so that's what I've concentrated on. Chord theory, chord construction, alternate voicings, playing in alternate tunings - I learned all that from GN.

I've learned a lot about recording - I've been inspired to record a lot of my own songs by GN, and GN members.

I've learned a lot about songwriting - written around 130 songs inspired by Sunday Songwriter's Group assignments. By far the biggest outlet for my writing has been the SSG. I've learned about imagery, phrasing, and how to actually construct a song, thinking about the dynamics rather than just jotting down words and putting music to them. Again, all down to GN.

Add to that I've had the pleasure of befriending some of those GN members, met quite a few, and played music with some of them. Collaborated with people from all over the world on musical projects, and hopefully will do again.

Yep, GN's always been MUCH more than just a tab site. Let's hope that this current situation about tabs and lessons will be resolved for the sake of would-be guitarists everywhere!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/06/2010 12:38 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Guitarnoise has always been more than just another tab site
+1

In fact, when I found GN I wasn't searching tabs, I was searching the kind of articles that are currently on line about theory and advices. Then, I found the forums. Probably I've worked on a half dozen of beginner/intermediate songs but I've read many articles.

Posted : 02/06/2010 1:48 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea I never came here for the tab myself it's not alot better than what's out there all over the internet I know the lesons are much better and David does a fantastic job with them but I came here mainly just looking for answers to basic questions when I started and to read the articles. That's why I still stay around (and I can look while I'm at work) which is pretty much the only time I'm here.

But for someone starting out this is one of the best guitar sites out there and active enough to get a good response in a short amount of time.

One thing I have found is that as I have played I have met more and more people that either played and I didn't know or I met them through music and there are more options now for me to get answers so I rarely post anything of substance anymore.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 02/06/2010 2:49 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys. Good stuff for sure.

To clarify, I wasn't referring to just tabs, but the way they were used in Dave Hodges lessons.

Posted : 02/06/2010 10:12 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Guitarnoise has always been more than just another tab site - I've learned a hell of a lot from asking questions in various forums over the last few years...Add to that I've had the pleasure of befriending some of those GN members, met quite a few, and played music with some of them. Collaborated with people from all over the world on musical projects, and hopefully will do again.

Vic

+10
I don't think any of us would let the site go away. We're...we're...a family. :cry:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 03/06/2010 3:53 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Bingo....I actually used the tabs on the site maybe one time. I've learned so much more on the forums and from the contributors here that I think this is the heart and soul of the site.

There are so many different styles and personalities that no question I've asked as ever gone un-answered, and in waaay more detail and depth than I could have ever though possible.

Not only that we break the international walls down!!!! Anyone that's participated in jam can say "I'm an international recording artist!" 8) 8)

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 03/06/2010 8:33 am
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I've learned so much more on the forums and from the contributors here that I think this is the heart and soul of the site.

Qft (quoted for truth).

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Posted : 03/06/2010 2:08 pm
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I didn't come here for the tabs, I came here to talk about guitars and learn about guitars.

I stay here because I get to talk about guitars, help other guitarists less experienced than myself, learn about guitars from those more experienced than I am, and I've made some friends here (a nice bonus).

For those who enjoy the tabs, I hope a solution is found.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Posted : 03/06/2010 3:13 pm