Clear all

Epic jam last night with family and friends

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

My grandfather plays steel guitar and we have been talking about my son and I going up to his house to jam with him for a while. We've just never been able to get it together. I have a semi-regular acoustic jam at my house most weekends with my son, a friend of mine (Scott) and me and occasionally, another friend who is a songwriter and an amazing guitar player (Tim). I realized that instead of trying to do something separate, I just needed to invite my granddad to that jam. We do a little country, but mostly rock stuff, but everyone is open to doing whatever, we just have fun. So, I finally got everyone on board for yesterday afternoon. We started off without Tim, and started with one we do regularly, Some Beach by Blake Shelton. My granddad just fell right in and it sounded great. My son and Scott were playing acoustic guitars and I was playing electric bass. My granddad showed us an old country song and it took a little bit, but we started picking it up.

One thing I noticed over the course of the day was my listening skills getting better. Normally, I listen to a song I'm trying to learn and pull up chords on the internet or just watch the guitarist's hands to see which chords he's playing. Having someone just play the melody and say "it's in G" made me really listen for the changes. I could tell I got much better at it as the day progressed. Good thing most old country songs stick to the I IV V and maybe have a ii or iv in there.

We ran through Workin' Man Blues, which is one was all knew. My son taught us "Bloodshot Eyes" by Trampled By Turtles (if you haven't heard them, check them out. Modern bluegrass). My granddad showed us another one, "The Way I Am" by Haggard. Tim showed up around this time and just started doing what he does, which is play completely by ear and throw perfect fills in wherever they need to be. We re-did some of the ones we had already done. My son said he needed to leave for a little bit and shows back up with part of his drum kit. He sets up kick, snare and high hat and starts playing with brushes. We did a faster version of "Workin' Man Blues", "Pride and Joy", "Move It On Over" and a couple other rockers. My granddad hung right in and played along.

My buddy Tim does an amazing acoustic version of Charlie Daniels' "Devil Went Down to Georgia" where he plays both the guitar and fiddle parts on an acoustic guitar. After hearing him do it, I learned the bass part and we had attempted it once before, but it was after I hadn't practiced it in a while and I had forgotten some parts. Last night, he asked if I was ready to try again. We kicked it off and everyone in the house came and just listened. Other than the bass part during the devil's solo, I nailed it. We learned some more stuff after that and ended up playing for about 5 hours. Everyone had a blast and we all plan on doing it again. I'm still grinning about it this morning.

Edit to add a picture my wife took.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 26/02/2012 1:50 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Cool

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 26/02/2012 2:38 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

No...way cool

Posted : 26/02/2012 3:06 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I love the picture. Four generations?

Thanks for sharing.

Posted : 26/02/2012 3:13 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I love the picture. Four generations?

Thanks for sharing.

Spanned 4 generations, but my mom and dad are no longer living and weren't musical.

Posted : 26/02/2012 3:45 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Very cool!

The organ seat looks very empty...

5th generation at the corner of the picture?

Posted : 26/02/2012 6:14 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Very cool!

The organ seat looks very empty...

5th generation at the corner of the picture?

No! I'm not ready to be a grandparent yet! That's our friend's daughter.

The organ sounds cool, but none of the F#s sound right.

Posted : 27/02/2012 1:28 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Way too cool Jeff!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 27/02/2012 6:03 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Just posted a rough recording in Hear Here. https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=52521 . This was before my friend who can tear a guitar up got there and while my son was playing guitar instead of drums.

Posted : 02/03/2012 2:56 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Doesnt get any better then that!!!!!

Paul B

Posted : 02/03/2012 5:18 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's some awesome stuff. What a great moment, and you can play it any time as long as you're kicking. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 02/03/2012 5:31 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Can't listena t work have to check it later but I'm sure it's pretty cool

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 02/03/2012 6:24 pm