Clear all

Finally...

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I finally, and just barely, managed to get out there and do my thing in front of people! :shock: :mrgreen:

I've been working on a few things for a while with a mate of mine, Neil, and two weeks ago somebody cancelled at a local open-mike-ish kinda gig, and we got their half-hour slot. Since that point, I'd ditched running through the things I play by myself in favour of getting every spare minute into the things we play together, and there's never many spare minutes in my little world :)

We worked out 10 songs, with him singing 6 and me 4, and a couple of solos which I'd do. I got a half-day holiday from work so we could practice on the day too. Turned up at his house at 4pm (gig was at 9pm, wanted to be there for 8pm) and no answer at his door. Tried his phone, switched off. Swore rather a lot, went to my local music shop around the corner to get myself off the street. (The owners are practically family, it was nice to have a whinge there too :)).

At 6pm when the shop shuts I finally get hold of him on the phone - he's not well and can't do the gig. An affliction that prevents the use of a telephone too, apparently :roll: I couldn't cancel because it's a good mate who runs it and I didn't want to let him down, so I'm slowly making my way over there, frantically trying to remember which songs I can do comfortably by myself, which of the ones I do with Neil that I can just drop the solos to and do by myself, and more importantly, what order to do them in so I don't blow my voice before the end.

Did I mention I've been getting over a nasty bout off flu-like something or other, and coughing non-stop for the entire weekend? And that I'm petrified of doing anything when all the attention is on me? I even get uncomfortable when I'm with a big group of friends and everyone stops talking to listen to something I'm saying :wink:

Anyhoooo, I got there in the end with a list I thought I could pull off (technically), met my mate and he tells me there's a panto on first. I was absolutely dreading it by now, I could just imagine a panto-crowd being noisy and boisterous and it was going to be more people than usual to play to too. We had a couple of games of pool and a couple of beers to wind down while the panto finished and then packed up, met two guys playing pool on the next table who were just waiting for the music. All three of them were really supportive, calmed me down a lot.

Finally, I get out there and just shut my eyes and go for it. I've never sung through a mike before either, that was just weird and took a bit of getting used to. You kind of feel the pitch rather than hear it, if that's any good as a description? The setup was a bit odd as the panto people had moved everything around - out front it was apparently fine, but from where I was it just sounded thin and echoy. Got used to it soon enough though.

Got to the end of the first song, and everyone clapped, so all was good. The panto crowd weren't really paying attention, which I actually found quite comforting, and the guys I was there with were really good and vocal in their support. I even felt comfortable enough to do a slightly-less-than-serious song (the theme tune to the littlest hobo), and that's really saying something. It's like a corny joke - in the right setting it goes down a storm because it's so corny, but you never know if you just going to get that tumbleweed moment of silence :mrgreen:

Anyhoo, long story short: There are no excuses. If somebody as petrified of performing as me can do it with all that went wrong on that day and get through it (and thoroughly enjoy it too!), anyone can. Just give yourself a kick and do it, you can worry about it later. You'll be glad you did :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 14/12/2006 10:48 am
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Good report.

Hope they cleaned up after the pantomime horse. ;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 14/12/2006 1:19 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

At 6pm when the shop shuts I finally get hold of him on the phone - he's not well and can't do the gig. An affliction that prevents the use of a telephone too, apparently :roll:

Don't you just love that?! :roll: :evil:

Great job on just getting out there & doing it! Way to go!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 14/12/2006 2:01 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Way to go Misanthrope. Congratulations. Glad to hear it all went well for you despite everything that conspired against you.

Also good to hear you survived the man-flu. :wink:

Great report too.

You'll have to let us know when your next gig is and I'll come along and give you some moral support.

Of course this now means that you have shamed me into biting the bullet and playing in public. I'll make it my new years resolution to do so.

By the way I was in your local guitar shop the other week. I asked them if they knew Misanthrope. They just gave me a funny look. I made my excuses and left. :oops: :wink: :lol:

Seriously though - nice shop, some great gear and friendly owners. I may see my way to throwing some cash thier way in the new year.

Anyway once again congrats on the gig.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 14/12/2006 2:17 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Terrific job and you are quite correct, there really is no excuse. GET out there. LOL I do have one question, for those of us in Oklahoma... what is a PANTO?

Way to go!!!!!!

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 14/12/2006 2:40 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Cheers guys :)

Chuckster: Aye, I will do, and you let me know when you're playing too, I'll be there :)

As for the shop, they know me as Jam, or they'd know who you were talking about if you mentioned ChordsAndScales... Sorry, should've thought of that :roll: :wink:

Geoo: Panto = Pantomime :wink:

Posted : 14/12/2006 2:41 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congratulations! That was a fun report.

Surely you have axed your so-called mate, Neil, from the Christmas list! :lol:

He "done you dirty" but you managed to shine anyway.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 14/12/2006 3:13 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Naaah, he's a good mate and he's had a rough time recently - gotta go easy on him. When I finally caught him on the phone I told him I'd let him get his head together before I gave him grief... :wink:

Posted : 14/12/2006 4:07 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Congratulations great job and great report too. If you're like me now that youve done it you'll just want to get back up there again.

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 14/12/2006 5:44 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Great report and super of you not to back out when your friend couldn't make it.

Sounds like you did real well.

Learn some more songs and do it again. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 14/12/2006 7:52 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good job, Mis.

Sorry I missed this thread until now... :roll:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 02/01/2007 11:26 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congratulations! :D

Posted : 02/01/2007 11:34 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Sorry I missed this thread until now... :roll:
No worries :)

Thanks for all the congrats people, it means a lot!

Posted : 02/01/2007 11:54 pm
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Well done mate!
When is the next gig? :)

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

Posted : 03/01/2007 6:49 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well done - in the best tradition of "The Show Must Go ON!"

BTW, what did you play? Originals, covers or a mixture?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 11/01/2007 11:18 pm
Page 1 / 2