Clear all

First band, First gig!

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

This was quite a few months ago, but I thought i'd share the tale anyway.

Our band had its first gig a few months ago, it went... Okay.. it had its ups and downs like any first gig does.

We were one of three bands to play that night in a Rock Cafe holding 200 people. There was myself on guitar/vocals (16), my friend on bass/vocals (15) and our drummer/pennywhistle :D (15). We're a relatively new band.

Well firstly, we arrived late due to our lift being late, god knows why. We arrived with a rather hostile greeting, not being allowed to setup our drumkit because it would "get in the way while the other band did soundcheck" which was complete bullshit really, ESPECIALLY seeing as we were the first band on, and we wern't particularly late.

I couldnt get ahold of the other band to find out what amp I was supposed to be using (managed to call the one, but he just diddnt talk to me on the phone, literally.) After alot of hassle I finally found out..

We were given a measly sound check of 5 mins due to the guy being a complete cock towards us, so we wern't setup well at all.

We played our set well, but nerves took over and diminished our performance as a whole (it was our FIRST ever gig in all fairness) but considering the situation, I believe it went very well, we got a larger cheer than the other two bands lol, and when I came off stage alot of people greeted me, shook my hand and said it was awesome, which was a SURREAL experience.

A few days later we got an angry phone call claiming that we "upstaged the headliners"

So overall, despite being the "outsider" band who the cafe seemed to HATE, and combatting nerves, I think we did quite well! Im sure our next gig will go MUCH better!

"Me... In a Nuclear Power Plant?...... KABOOM! Hahahaha!" - Homer Simpson in Highschool.

Posted : 28/06/2006 1:22 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Way to go it'll only get better

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 28/06/2006 3:26 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Sounds like a lot of ageism there, but you got through it by proving yourselves - good on you! Out of interest, who was the "upstaging the headliners" phone call from? The cafe or the headliners?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 28/06/2006 4:04 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

NotYetNirvana

Thanks for the great gig report.

I know it wasn't your fault you were late, but that is probably the reason the club was upset with you. It is very worrisome to a club when a scheduled band is not there and the show is to go on in 10 minutes. Again, not your fault, but always be as early as possible. This puts the club at ease, so they can go back to worrying if they have enough ice.

You would have been able to set up first as well and do a good sound check.

Sounds like you did real good. What is surprising to me is that you got nervous on your 2nd set. It is usually the other way around, nervous on the 1st and more relaxed on the 2nd. Perhaps you were not as sure of yourselves on those songs??

Still a great gig report. Who wants to hear about everything going perfect? It is far more fun to hear about the problems. And this is how gigs really go, things go wrong from time to time and you just have to "adapt and overcome" as the Marines like to say.

Yeah, who made that phone call?

Do you have any pics of the gig?

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 28/06/2006 9:33 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Thats a weird experience. I hope you have more luck next time, and by "upstaging the headliners" I think you must have alright to started with thought.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 28/06/2006 10:13 pm
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I remember one of my first gigs, we were playing a concert with a few other bands, and actually got thrown off of the stage because we were accused of "upstaging the headliners." The crowd was very unhappy, and nobody watched the other bands!

sweet revenge...

Posted : 29/06/2006 3:46 am
(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

It was our drummer who received the phonecall, so i'm not too sure who it was from, I believe it was from the club. Dont have any pictures though, im afraid!

Overall, it was fun! At the moment we're working on a few other songs, and are aiming to upgrade some of our equipment, but until then we're hoping to play at a few houseparties for the experience and the fun of it!

We've been invited to play with a band in early August, so that should be fun!

"Me... In a Nuclear Power Plant?...... KABOOM! Hahahaha!" - Homer Simpson in Highschool.

Posted : 29/06/2006 2:51 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Take all the gigs you can and rock their socks off!!

Good job, fellas!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 30/06/2006 3:38 am
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i dont think i'll forget any gig i;ve done, theres always something that happens that is unforgettable 8) :oops: :cry: :shock: :D

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 02/07/2006 4:02 am