First time "gig"

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@banre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hey all,

I've haven't been posting at all in the last year or two, but I do still lurk a good bit. I'm making it a point to participate more from now on, though.

I had to write a quick report on my weekend. I've been running the computer and sound for our church for the past year or so. The worship leader knew I played some guitar from our conversations. I get a call the first of last week. He asks if I could play some bass, the normal guy was going to be out the next Sunday. I said sure, lemme borrow a bass and I'll see what I can do.

I get the bass on Thursday. Of course, nothing being easy, it's a monster of a six string Ibanez. Great sounding, but I was certainly expecting just a four string! That Thursday was the first day I'd ever played a bass along with a song at all. Before that was just noodling at the guitar shop from time to time. I practiced it up, got the songs ready. I showed up Sunday morning and we ran through all the songs before service.

All-in-all, it went really well. I had so much fun! I did flub up in a few spots, but no one seemed to notice. I've even been invited back. Our worship leader said he was going to get me off the sound and start working me into the schedule on stage. I'm even going to the guitar shop to browse for my own bass this week.

See everyone around!

Louis

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 15/12/2008 2:45 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Another 6 stringer turns to the dark side! :D

Congrats and welcome to the low end.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 15/12/2008 3:04 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Congrats! I've always had fun playing the bass a jam sessions. Such a different animal!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 15/12/2008 3:52 pm
(@banre)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Congrats! I've always had fun playing the bass a jam sessions. Such a different animal!

It sure is and I am most definitely hooked. I played tuba from Jr high into college, so I fell right back into the bass lines. It pained me to give the borrowed bass back yesterday after church! I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll have myself one before the week's out. If only I hadn't already bought that blu-ray player for my Christmas present to me.....

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 15/12/2008 3:59 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

8)

Posted : 15/12/2008 4:25 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's great!

We really need a bass player for our church band and can't find one. I may have to brush up on David Hodges' Bass For Dummies and give it a go. I've been playing lap steel a bit with the band.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 15/12/2008 5:04 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 16/12/2008 10:21 am