Clear all

First time live

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jase36)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I went along to a local Shadows guitar club yesterday. A friend said I should give it a go and as I had learnt Apache earlier this year I thought I'd give it a go. I was originally going to play along to a backing track but when I got there I decided to play with the band. My wife dropped me off so that I hadn't got to drive and could have a little dutch courage(quite a bit actually). I expected to be nervous and I was it was a very strange feeling. I don't remember very much of playing apart from from hitting a few wrong notes and muting a few slides. I did manage to keep playing and didnt break down to a point of being totally lost. How did I do? I don't really know, people were very kind but I think it was a pretty rough rendition. I'm going to go back to the next meeting and hopefully have another tune learnt by then so I can do at least 2 songs.

In the past I've found it difficult to play in front of just my family and I thought maybe going and playing in front of strangers (about 40 people) who didn't know me would be easier. It was a lot harder but I'm glad I did it and realise now there is a world of difference between being able to play a song and being able to perform it in front of others. I'm satisfied that I did go through with playing and not chicken out but hope next time I can let go a little bit. Good fun having a band next to you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 25/10/2010 8:23 pm
(@alangreen)

Well done you, that first public performance is always a bit nerve-wracking but you get such a (legal) high from it. Applause is instantly addictive too.

Roll on the next show.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 26/10/2010 5:26 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Cool man, congrats on your experience!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 26/10/2010 5:54 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats! Now you're ahead of me. :( I've yet to try.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 28/10/2010 7:19 am