Clear all

Flooding in my Home Town

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hey everyone, I haven't been spending much time on GN lately. Been busy with work, school, social life, the same kind of things that cause everyone to miss sometime around here I guess. Anyway, things have calmed down a bit, and hopefully I can get back into the swing of things around here again. I have a few new songs in the works, and my mandolin playing is coming along a fair bit.

However, the point of this post isn't really to say that I'll be here more, but to show you all some pictures of a recent flash flood in my home town.

I live in Dunville, a small town inside of Placentia, a larger town of the east coast of Newfoundland, Canada. We were the recipients of Tropical Storm Chantel, which dumped 120mm of rain, almost 5 inches, in about 7 hours, from 2am-8 or 9am on August 1st. Dunville was hit hardest of all the towns, and there was severe damage, houses destroyed, vechiles lost. One car went through the main road, and fell 35 feet down a bank. This caused the main road to be seperated by about a 15 foot wide crater about 30 feet deep. As a result, Dunville was cut off from the rest of the area. People had to be taken to hospital by a local man with a 35 foot boat. All the nurses, my mother included were ferried by the same boat to the hospital to work. The town declared a state of emergency, as did a hand full of others in the area, but fortunately no one died.

The main road is just about fixed, and all the roads to other smaller towns are almost complete too. However, property damage for alot of people is going to take forever to figure out. Our house got off easy, but some of neighbours got a lot of damage. My neighbour/friends house had about 3 feet of water in the basement. They are all gone to Fort McMurray, Alberta, so a bunch of us who live around them had to tear up the carpetting, take out all the furniture, dry vac the place, and do whatever we could to save their basement.

Anyway, here are some pictures if you guys are interested. Just remember that the area is surrounded by hills on three sides, and a harbour on the other.

http://picasaweb.google.com/w09wrw/FloodingInDunville

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 03/08/2007 2:16 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Man! That was a torrent! :shock:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 03/08/2007 2:20 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I Just got word that the Prime Minister is in town. I was wondering what the helicopter going through town was. They've been nonstop for the past three days.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 03/08/2007 2:29 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ugh! I wish you and everyone a speedy recovery time.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 03/08/2007 2:41 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Paul,

Having just been through the worst floods since 1947 here in Gloucestershire UK I sympathsize. Ours were deep but didn't cause the wipe-out damage that yours did. Ours were mostly rising river water caused by hours of torrential rain. We didn't get the run off torrents that you got from those hills.

Hope things get sorted out for you7 all soon. Here's a link to our wet time:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34401

All the best Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 03/08/2007 7:42 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The strength of the water is incredible. I hope all is recovered soon.

Nuno

Posted : 03/08/2007 9:52 pm
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

wow, it looks bad

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

Posted : 03/08/2007 9:56 pm
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

How did I miss that? I'm less than a day's drive away from Paul.

Hope everything's going well, man. Good luck

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

Posted : 04/08/2007 9:39 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter

How did I miss that? I'm less than a day's drive away from Paul.

Hope everything's going well, man. Good luck

B'y it was all over the news. Not sure how you miss that one, but I won't hold it against you. Anyway, alls well around here for the most part, lifes back to normal for most people.

Paul

Posted : 04/08/2007 10:32 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Like Dogsbody said, it's been bad over here....I live near Manchester, which used to be known - in the hey-day of CB radio - as "Rainy Town." Jokes are numerous - how do you fill a kettle in Manchester? Stick it out of the window for 3 seconds. Why do you get in the shower in Manchester? Less pressure....and so on.

Not so funny at all when your home's flooded - it has happened to us in the 60's, but better drainage etc helped. Those days, you just had to grin and bear it - just one of those little things life threw at you.

Hope you get back to normal soon.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 04/08/2007 11:20 pm