Notifications
Clear all

Forum Maintenance and Downtime

43 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I like the new look - very professional! 8)

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

Posted : 10/09/2007 5:14 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Everything seems to be working okey dokey here, as far as I can tell.
Which is better than most upgrades that I witness at work, so congrats for that!

The new skin... I'll have to get back to you on that.
At first glance it sure looks different.

I'm sure I can get used to it. Didn't Willie Nelson write something like "He ain't wrong, He's just different".

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 10/09/2007 6:31 pm
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Like a broken record... I hate the new look, I find myself constantly reading sigs and thinking wtf... and then realizing above it is the actual content... maybe more of a difference in the color between posts would keep me from losing my place so badly. I also don't like the poster being on the right side. But this is all just personal gripes and until I've had a week or so to get used to the change it's just whining... here's why I am posting.

The easy songs database, it looks like a lot of songs didn't convert very well, I see a lot of BR tags where a new line should be. Also extremely annoying is the way that CODE blocks are now limitted to about 9 or 10 lines of text before they scroll, that may work great in some forums, but the way we use CODE tags here people actually want to be able to read what's in the code section and that's more difficult now. The BR tag's issue might be a tricky one to deal with, it isn't in every post, so I'm sure there is a reason it happens, I hope the CODE tag problem is a setting somewhere.

Hopefully this forum upgrade solves the other problems, things like the quick reply and the login were quirky in the old forums, I'm hoping this new forum will remember me for more than a few days at a time, I hate having to login (especially with that old applet doo dad).

Posted : 10/09/2007 6:39 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Goes perfectly with Windows Vista.
Hopefully it works better than vista :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 10/09/2007 7:36 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Goes perfectly with Windows Vista.
Hopefully it works better than vista :wink:

Posted : 10/09/2007 9:53 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

PROBLEM here unfortunately. :(

With the email checker that I use, the notification emails no longer tell me the name of the thread that has got a new post. Instead all the email titles say something like:

<95b3a56a1eea6fc95404b0b535b25b1d

This isn't very helpful. I used to be able to just check the names and delete them on the ISP server without downloading them all. I guess I can download them all and work my way through them, clicking on the internal links, but the old system was much handier. I guess it's just a version incompatibility between the new forum software and the checker/reader that I use, so I'll hunt around and see if I can find something similar to do the job.

I'm still getting used to the new look - especially as I had mine set to keep the even older look from a couple of years ago. But I expect I'll get used to it.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 10/09/2007 11:27 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

PROBLEM here unfortunately. :(

The notification emails no longer tell me the name of the thread that has got a new post. Instead all the email titles say something like:

<95b3a56a1eea6fc95404b0b535b25b1d
It works for me :?

Posted : 10/09/2007 11:31 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

It works for me :?

It works for me too if I download everything to my hard drive using Outlook Express. But I have a long habit of using a reader/checker first. This saves accidentally downloading spam, viruses, notifications, etc and allows me to delete all the general fluff and noise before it reaches my computer. It's safer and also quicker. Not a big deal, but I prefer my usual way, so I'll have to work out another system or find some different software I guess.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 10/09/2007 11:38 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Ok, It seems your reader is using the "Message-Id" header and not the "Topic". I don't know which system are you using but could you select the header in the reader?

Posted : 10/09/2007 11:48 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Ok, It seems your reader is using the "Message-Id" header and not the "Topic". I don't know which system are you using but could you select the header in the reader?

Thanks Nuno,

It doesn't seem so, but there may be other options that I can use instead. I think I'll be doing a fair bit of experimenting over the next few days, with various aspects of this new layout. :)

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 11/09/2007 12:58 am
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member

This is great - don't change a thing.

I particularly like having the posters name, avatar, and other info on the right hand side.

This way, when viewing in a smaller window, the text isn't cutoff on the right.

(And I think "Friends & Foes" is a great addition - finally a way to keep the trolls at bay!)

Thanks!!!!

"...it's in him, and it got to come out..." - JLH

Posted : 11/09/2007 1:48 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Well, it looks like the system made it through the upgrade/maintenance, etc. I lost about 200 or so posts on my count, so I get to pass 1,000 posts twice! Don't care much for the new format/look - I wonder if it is possible for me to select viewing the forum using the "old" look? Can this be set in the options?

I seem to have lost a couple hundred posts (more or less) also. Oh well, I'll be musically insane soon enough(or is that musically senile) :wink:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 11/09/2007 10:42 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Well, it looks like the system made it through the upgrade/maintenance, etc. I lost about 200 or so posts on my count, so I get to pass 1,000 posts twice! Don't care much for the new format/look - I wonder if it is possible for me to select viewing the forum using the "old" look? Can this be set in the options?

I seem to have lost a couple hundred posts (more or less) also. Oh well, I'll be musically insane soon enough(or is that musically senile) :wink:

That's because Nick cleaned out some of the games before the upgrade.

Don't worry Ken, we all think you're musically insane regardless of your post count! :lol:

J/K bud! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 11/09/2007 11:37 am
Page 3 / 3