Noble Member
Topic starter

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8512086

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 06/08/2012 9:04 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I've read a bunch about the case and it's pretty clear Gibson knowingly contravened things post amendment. So they should be happy with this slap on the wrist.

The more troubling thing with the Lacey Act amendment...it's retroactive.
The onus is on a guitar owner to provide provenance and meet the current standards for all the components of their instruments, whenever they were made.

So you have a vintage guitar with lovely tortoise shell inlays, Brazilian rosewood fretboard and you're supposed to explain where all the elements came from and how all was hunky dory by the Amendment standards? Preposterous.
There must be a lawyer or two who reads the forums here. Is there an amendment to a law this draconian?

Don

Posted : 06/08/2012 9:54 pm
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

Not a lawyer, not a USAian either. The retroactive thing does seem odd, though I don't know if that's the correct interpretation. What is also odd was Gibson seemed to be intentionally sailing very close to the wind here, I haven't heard of any other US manufacturer that had issues like this. And they've now gone all-out in finding alternative woods and treating them to replace the more exotic ones (baked maple etc.).

Posted : 07/08/2012 10:31 pm
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member

is it me or does the mandatory donation to the wildlife fund seem like extortion..

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

Posted : 12/08/2012 3:19 pm