Clear all

GIG report

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

A friend of mine who belongs to the local Acoustic Guitar Players Association asked me to play a party with him and two other people. I couldn't pass that up. At warm up it was clear to me that these folks are way better than me. But my motto is no guts no glory, so off we went. I knew the lyrics to most of the songs they wanted to do, but I'd never played any of them. It was mostly folk and folk rock kind of stuff. I told them just give me the chord progressions and I'll follow the best I can. I think I kept up pretty well and the crowd was smiling and singing along. On one of the songs that I didn't know the lyrics too and couldn't play most of the chords, I played some short 3 or 4 note arpeggios over a chord I could handle. I'd never done that before but it just seemed right. The group seemed to like it. All in all I had a great time and I'm glade I went. Oh and they asked me to join them again. :D

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

Posted : 30/09/2009 4:46 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member

Congrats! There is always going to be someone better than ourselves, and my expierience is those guys are not pulling against you but for you. Sounds like you did terrific, and I am sure that will build your confidence. Most "normal" people in an audiance enjoy what you are doing, and it sounds like they did... gotta love those smiles.

It reminds me of what my late guitar teacher said about 12 years ago - although we get enjoyment out of what we play the real reason is for others to enjoy - and we are not to keep to ourself.

Posted : 30/09/2009 5:43 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

sounds like great fun - and yeah, there are always better players than us, but i bet it is great to be jamming and learning with/from them.

i really must check out if my area has similar groups, i would love to join a jam like that.

hope the next one goes just as well

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 01/10/2009 7:31 pm
(@alangreen)

There is always going to be someone better than ourselves

...and these are the people we want to go play with, so we can learn from them and develop our own skillsets.

Way to go Tim, sounds like you had a great time. Roll on the next gig

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 01/10/2009 8:42 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member

...and these are the people we want to go play with, so we can learn from them and develop our own skillsets.

10-4 on that, and my experience is most of them are pulling for you as they "probably" weren't always that good.

Posted : 01/10/2009 9:16 pm