Skip to content
GIG REPORT - Life i...

Notifications
Clear all

GIG REPORT - Life is Drama @ Shakers (Ottawa)

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

This past Sat night my band LIFE IS DRAMA played @ Shakers in Ottawa, IL. I played here back in September 2011 with my old band and that time the crowd was pretty thin 20-50ppl hanging out on the other side of the bar. Shakers has many “bigger” bands in the area play there on a consistent basis so I was looking forward to playing here again w/LIFE IS DRAMA. The setup was the same, the stage at the back of the bar coming off the corner, enough for a drum kit and our amps w/little room to stand so I spent most of the time on the floor. Just off the stage was the dance floor and there were a couple of tables by us but the bulk of the activity/bar area was to our right (video games/booths & a large bar).

On Sat night before we even started ALL THE TABLES were filled w/people, we had a nice size crowd to start!!! We had what we thought was a bachelorette party at one table so Mindi & I walked over to see what they were celebrating, turns out it was an “engagement party” and they hung out and danced with us all night!!! :D I walked around before we started playing leaving our business cards on the tables and thanking them for coming out tonight. This was our first show of 2012 and we added some pre-recorded tracks into the show, new tunes and we worked on rolling from song to song w/minimal interruptions (silence). So starting our first set was the “THX” intro and we went right into Zeppelin's “Rock & Roll”. From the 2nd song of the night we had people up on the dance floor and by the end of the 1st set they didn't want us to STOP!!! :D

We took a short break (5-10min) and got back up there and AGAIN the dance floor was PACKED, they we're singing along to everything we played & during this set there I could see there were girls dancing up on the pool table to my right!!! :D The atmosphere of the crowd was UNBELIEVABLE!!! There was a table of girls to my immediate right (my side) that guys were coming up to and pulling them onto the dance floor, shots were flowing it was AWESOME!!! :D AGAIN at the end of the 2nd set they didn't want us to STOP!!! During this break I was talking to a patron who said there was someone from the talent board for a local festival who was VERY IMPRESSED with us so hopefully that translates into a festival gig this summer!!! :D

During the 3rd set the bass player and I walked into the crowd and danced with them during Billy Idol's “Dancing w/Myself” and a girl came out of nowhere...pinched my butt and blended back into the crowd!!! :D That was pretty cool!!! :D Then there was a girl who put a drink between her boobs and offered it to the bass player :shock: & another got up on the riser behind us and we got her jumping up and down and her boobs were almost popping out :D ...then she slipped off the riser...thankfully she was ok. :D

We finished the night with probably 30 people still there and the owner said he wished he had that type of night EVERY NIGHT!!! The bouncer said he's seen a LOT OF BANDS come through and we were one of the BEST coming through!!! :D We ended the night by stopping at a truck stop restaurant for breakfast w/some fans before heading home. It was a GREAT night & I got home about 4:15am!!! :D

Pics are up on our Facebook Page “Life is Drama” and my Facebook page from this gig. Our next gig is SATURDAY (2/11/12) @ Heroes West (1530 Commerce Drive, Joliet IL).

Thanks for reading and all the great comments & KEEP ROCKIN' !!!!

Tommy Gunz

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 26/01/2012 9:51 pm
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

I checked out the photos on your Facebook page, it looked a great gig. The pictures fitted perfectly with what you said. I'm really pleased it went well for you, keep going.

Posted : 27/01/2012 11:10 am
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Rocket Dog!!! :D

Posted : 27/01/2012 11:19 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I like the reverbnation plug-in for FB. Was that painful to implement?

Posted : 27/01/2012 2:44 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Hi Laz!! I don't know, I didn't do it.

Posted : 27/01/2012 2:58 pm