Clear all

GIG REPORT-SLIGHTLY OFFENSIVE @ Charley Horse - Tinley Park

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

This past Saturday night (12/11/10) my band SLIGHTLY OFFENSIVE played @ Charley Horse (Tinley Park IL). It was Cory's 40th B-Day Bash so Cory & Jennie had their kids there and it was all ages until 11pm so that was fun. Everything we played was “G-Rated” which sounded pretty funny since I'm so used to hearing all the profanity in the songs. “Crazy Bitch” sounded like the mic kept cutting out on him. :D

Charley Horse is a nice place to play, average size room & they treated us very well. My wife & I stopped by on Friday night when my friend's band was playing there & we stayed for about half the 2nd set. I should say we stayed until a lady who was sharing the table w/us passed out & slowly crumpled to the floor next to us. Her friends helped her up & I told my wife “I think we should leave before she gets sick on the table.” So we left & my friend told me the next night that she got sick in between the 2 sets of doors at the entrance...so be careful during your load in. They had a sparse crowd maybe 30 people or so when we got there but considering its December not a lot of people are going out to bars. I figured our crowd on Sat night would be thin too but we had a GOOD sized crowd there and the manager was quite pleased with the draw we pulled in. I was talking to the bartender and she was surprised as much as I considering the weather report was saying that the storm that collapsed the stadium in Minnesota was supposed to start around 12am w/30-55mph winds.

When I arrived I set up all my gear & I noticed a group of ladies in their mid to late 20's kinda checking me out. THAT felt pretty cool (being 42)...at least I think they were checking me out...could've been something else but I'm sticking to my story :D The band played very well all night (loose feeling but tight as a band) & I felt I played very well again which was cool. Mike K from “Slippery When Wet” played guitar w/us again (I think he's in the band now) & Carlo who is the singer for “Slippery When Wet” came in & stayed for 2 sets & sang “Don't Stop Believing” w/us, that was fun. Our previous guitar player (Justin) came in w/his dad and he said he missed playing out so he played a couple tunes w/us too. I had the kids on my side singing along, waving their arms from side to side, doing the “wave” & that was a lot of fun to watch. In total we played 3 sets and did 2 encores which was cool!!! They want to re-book us in 2 months so I'm sure our booking agent received a good report too. :D

I have some pics up on my Facebook page (Tom McLaughlin) & on MySpace (Tommy Gunz) and I'm sure they will be up soon at slightlyoffensiveband.com. Also check us out on Facebook & MySpace too!!!

Next GigS 12/18/10 – O'Leary's (14650 S Waverly Ave, Midlothian IL). Never played here before...A NEW ROOM FOR US TO ROCK OUT AT!!! If you come on out please come up and say "hi" & that your from GN!!!

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 15/12/2010 7:09 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a blast! I've followed your gig reports with interest - seems like you've had a pretty good year. Let's hope next year's just as good!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 16/12/2010 2:09 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Vic!!! I'm really trying to tell it as I'm living it. I'm hoping to journal my progression in GN forums to hopefully bigger & bigger venues/crowds...we'll see how far I get!!! Hopefully others can read my stories & maybe relate to their own situation. Who knows, maybe even inspire some to get out there & play with others as well. I have to say I've progressed exponentially faster as a guitar player playing by in a band than I EVER would have just sitting at home playing to cd's & watching Youtube video lessons. Its also been a lot of fun this year for me & I'm pretty excited about the opportunities this band (Slighlty Offensive) is getting. I heard we're working trying to secure another gig w/80's Enough so if we can work w/them (opening for them) on a regular basis (every 2 months or so) THAT will expose us to a much bigger audience.

The BEST thing about this band I think is that EVERYONE in it WANTS TO PLAY!!! I can't tell you how many times I've been in bands where 1 or 2 people don't want to play a gig because its too far, not enough money etc. These guys & girl that I'm playing with now have the attitude that we'll play whenever & wherever and we'll just try to squeeze as much $$$ out of it as we can. Mostly, we just want to play out!!!

Looking forward to a (hopefully) busy 2011 & playing some new venues!!!
"Tommy Gunz"

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 16/12/2010 2:59 pm