Clear all

Gig Report: SLIGHTLY OFFENSIVE @ SULLIVANS & SHARKYS

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

This past Friday/Saturday night my band SLIGHTLY OFFENSIVE played 2 gigs, Fri @ Sullivans (Midlothian) & Sat @ Sharky's (Round Lake). Both gigs were for Jennie's B-Day party and she grew up in Round Lake (2hrs north) and currently lives near Midlothian so I figured we'd have pretty good crowds this weekend, unfortunately that wasn't the case. Now it could've been due to the break in the weather (first 80 degree weekend of the season) and here in Chicago once summer kicks in the crowds in the bars/clubs really thin out as people opt to stay home and barbeque w/friends etc.

At Sullivans we didn't draw as many as I'd hoped for (maybe 40ppl) but for Sullivans who had a BIG NAME local band play there the previous weekend and drew 400ppl we didn't draw well enough to be asked back which was really disappointing to me. On top of that the crowd we had really didn't get into it either (also not a good sign). We had some musician friends come up and play w/us and one (a singer), HE REALLY WORKED THAT STAGE UP & DOWN and I thought to myself WOW here we are playing with a different singer and just that element changed how the band performed and how much more the crowd got into it for that one song. NOW I'm thinking we need to put on more of a “show” as opposed to just playing the material well to move up to that next level. Easier said than done...I know.

Sat night was more of the same as again we played really well & tight as a band but we REALLY played like its “live band karaoke”. We REALLY NEED to have that “show” up front that really engages the audience. Hopefully we keep refining and get better at each gig now going forward.

Our next gig is THIS SUNDAY (4/17/11) back at THE TILTED KILT (Chicago Ridge, IL) & we start at 7pm!!! REALLY HAPPY to be playing here again...and not just because the waitresses are HOT :shock: but I really thought since we didn't get to play last month (St Patty's Day) that we didn't play well enough to be asked back, turns out the other band was booked months in advance for 3/17 so its all good. I'm also hoping to start turning this trend around here!!! :D

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 12/04/2011 7:55 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Fingers crossed for the Tilted Kilt for you - at least you are out there getting gigs, and of course some repeat bookings :D

Posted : 13/04/2011 7:09 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Apache, my fingers are crossed too!!!

Posted : 13/04/2011 7:21 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

At Sullivans we didn't draw as many as I'd hoped for (maybe 40ppl) but for Sullivans who had a BIG NAME local band play there the previous weekend and drew 400ppl we didn't draw well enough to be asked back which was really disappointing to me. On top of that the crowd we had really didn't get into it either (also not a good sign). We had some musician friends come up and play w/us and one (a singer), HE REALLY WORKED THAT STAGE UP & DOWN and I thought to myself WOW here we are playing with a different singer and just that element changed how the band performed and how much more the crowd got into it for that one song. NOW I'm thinking we need to put on more of a “show” as opposed to just playing the material well to move up to that next level. Easier said than done...I know.

Sat night was more of the same as again we played really well & tight as a band but we REALLY played like its “live band karaoke”. We REALLY NEED to have that “show” up front that really engages the audience. Hopefully we keep refining and get better at each gig now going forward.

Tommy, I wouldn't worry about the occasional slow gig. It happens, and 99% of the time it's because of things entirely unrelated to how good or bad the band is; it's things the band has zero control over. Where a band gets ahead is when they treat every gig as an educational experience, and what I've quoted shows you doing exactly that - identifying something that will increase the impact for the fans you already have, and get them talking to their friends going "You HAVE to go see these guys! They're incredible!"

The practice after every one of our shows is spent identifying what our bass player calls "little nicks and burrs that need smoothing out." It's an ongoing process for us, and is really starting to pay off.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 14/04/2011 12:55 am
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Moonrider, I'll keep that in mind!! Definitely working for you so GREAT advice!!!

Posted : 14/04/2011 2:14 am