Skip to content
Gig Report - Slight...

Notifications
Clear all

Gig Report - Slightly Offensive @ The Tilted Kilt (2/17/11)

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Last night (Thursday) my band SLIGHTLY OFFENSIVE played a return engagement @ The Tilted Kilt (Chicago Ridge). We played here last month when our scheduled gig got cancelled and we walked in and asked “do you want some live entertainment tonight?” After we played that night the GM called us and said they wanted us to play there on the 17th of every month for their “St Practice Day” promotion so this was our first night!!!

This gig was an “early” one for us since it was 8pm-12am and because it was on a Thursday night we had some of our musician friends come out to support us since usually they're playing on the weekends too and can't come out to see us. So we had a group from Players Guitars, & Kurt & Dee Dee from the band “80's Enough” came out, Dee Dee came up and sang “I Want Candy” w/us. Kurt who is a guitar teacher at Players Guitars played “Shook Me All Night Long” with one of his students who used my rig. It was a cool/fun night for all of us. And they got to go home at a reasonable hour.

Now, last Friday night we were LOUD so this night since we didn't want to screw this gig up they had me very quiet in the mix...a little too quiet for my taste as I could hardly hear myself playing but as long as the patrons can talk over our playing (hopefully telling the manager how much fun they're having) its ALL GOOD!!! The first set I thought we played well & tight but the second set...well, you could really hear we haven't rehearsed as a band in a couple of weeks so hopefully tomorrow night's gig will rectify that and we'll pull it together.

Crowd response last night was really good. The place was packed when we started and it dwindled a lot slower than it did the last time we played there. That may have been due to us starting at 8pm as opposed to 11pm. I saw the manager get all excited up by the bar when we started playing “Ice Ice Baby” :D and I high fived her when I walked past later on that night. The Tilted Kilt girls were up and dancing & grooving on the floor during the second set :D which was good to see and while they were doing that the manager was taking pics of them so I'm sure they'll be up on their Facebook page (Tilted Kilt Chicago Ridge) soon. After we finished our first set we took a band picture with all the girls for our St Practice Day “promo” poster. :D They said they were going to put up a poster in the lobby that was 2'x3' as opposed to the usually legal sized flyer we usually provide to the bar so that's pretty cool!!!! At the end of the night one of the Tilted Kilt girls who was keeping me “well hydrated” asked “can I take a picture w/your guitar?” :shock: “SURE”!!! So I have a pic of her holding my guitar, playing an open G chord all “sexy like”. :D We haven't heard when we're playing here again but they said the GM should be contacting us again in the next couple of days so again I'm crossing my fingers for that phone call...looking forward to going back there!!!

Pics (hopefully) should be up soon on my Facebook page (Tom McLaughlin) from last night & from the last time we played there (I'm still waiting on Jenny to forward them too me) & on MySpace (Tommy Gunz) and I'm sure they will be up soon on the band's Facebook page “Rock Slightly Offensive Band” & at slightlyoffensiveband.com. Also check us out on MySpace too!!!

Next Gig TOMORROW!!! 2/19/11 – Rokwelz (11265 West 159th Street, Orland Park IL) A NEW VENUE for us!!! Hope to see you there!!!

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 18/02/2011 2:26 pm