Clear all

Gig report: Southern Roots @ Rocks River Roadhouse

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

This was a "spec" gig for us. We took this one with absolutely no guarantees of any compensation, but simply as an "audition" for future gigs at the Rockahock RV Resort complex, of which the Roadhouse was part. We were hoping to get gas money from tips and future paying gigs. It was a gamble that looks like is going to pay off really well for us. We're on the short list for a major venue in the area, and one that some bands have been trying to get into for years.

This was one where we got to show off our repertoire. The age range of the audience was pretty evenly spread for 21 to 71, so our challenge was to keep everyone engaged. As a result the set list was all over the place, while staying true to our core mission of "a high energy blend of music that ranges across all types of popular music, with unabashed twang and southern drawl." The review made by the manager: "You're a perfect fit for this place. Don't leave until I can get everybody out and run the z-tape. I'm going to slip you 10% of the gross to make it worth your while for coming out here with no guarantees. We want to make sure you want to come back."

Some of the possibilities this opened up:
Feature band at one of the Summer Concert Series, or as an opening act for nationals coming through.
Participating band in their "Country Music Showdown" festival, which is featuring Sammy Kershaw this year and/or the "Hawgs, Hosses and Hineys" festival.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 10/04/2011 6:31 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Congrats! It's nice to be loved.

Posted : 11/04/2011 4:01 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

Nice Moonrider, good luck with the "Summer Concert Series". That sounds like it would be a LOT of fun to play!!! :D

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 11/04/2011 6:24 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

hey moonrider :D

that is great. last time i saw one of your gig reviews you posted a link to some liv vids - have you any more since then - i would be really interested in watching you guys perform, i was impressed last time. im not surprised in the slightest that you went down well!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 11/04/2011 7:20 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

hey moonrider :D

that is great. last time i saw one of your gig reviews you posted a link to some liv vids - have you any more since then - i would be really interested in watching you guys perform, i was impressed last time. im not surprised in the slightest that you went down well!!

I should get the raw video from this one tomorrow night, and I'm hoping it turned out well. We added several new songs on this one. I'll add links in as Jackie and I get 'em posted.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Posted : 12/04/2011 1:49 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Congrats! It's nice to be loved.

Why yes, yes it is. The cute blonde girl loved us a lot. She sure did give us an eyeful right before the bouncers asked her to leave. :shock: :oops: :shock:

Posted : 12/04/2011 1:51 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Nice Moonrider, good luck with the "Summer Concert Series". That sounds like it would be a LOT of fun to play!!! :D

This would be outside under the "Rockadome."

Posted : 12/04/2011 1:55 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

This one just keeps paying dividends! We're booked back at the Roadhouse on May 14th, AND June 24th and 25th. Plus, on the 25th we open up for Cedar Creek under the "Rockadome" as part of the Summer Concert Series! Current schedule for the next 6 weeks:

April 15th, 9PM: Honey Whyte's All American Cafe, 2116 Main St. Richmond, VA

May 14th, 9PM: Rocks River Roadhouse @ Rockahock, 1428 Outpost Rd, Lanexa VA

May 27th, 8PM Hooah's Sports Grill, 5380 Oaklawn Blvd, Prince George, VA

We're also meeting Thursday with a booking agent who has a proposition for us at Smith Mountain Lake Resort - a major resort in the state. He heard us at the Rockahock gig!

Needless to say, we're kinda pumped.

Posted : 14/04/2011 12:36 am
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

SWEET!!! CONGRATS!!! :D

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 14/04/2011 2:11 am