Clear all

Gig report ToF 5/28/06

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

My band Twist of Fate had a nice gig this past Saturday, May 28th. For once everything worked out well, it was Memorial Day Weekend and the weather was beautiful. We got a real nice crowd.

Not much to say except we had a great time. Everybody was in a great mood and we had lots of dancers all night. We played some new numbers, Smoke on the Water and One by Creed. Smoke on the Water was by far the best song of the night. This song may be old and cliche, but it really rocks, the crowd went wild. It is hard to mess this song up.

I should have some pics in a few days. A buddy of mine sent me this one, pretty washed out and grainy.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 31/05/2006 8:07 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

ha ha.. Yea right.. Where is the REAL Wes.. Wes doesn write reports that short. LOL Just teasin ya man. Congrats on the gig. I love Smoke on the Water and I've always noticed that it gets a great response around here too. Dont you think you can always count on the classics when it comes to gigs?

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 31/05/2006 11:38 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Glad to hear T of F is back on their feet again.

Makes you forget past bad experiences.

WTG, Twist of Fate.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 01/06/2006 12:53 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

geoo

ha ha.. Yea right.. Where is the REAL Wes.. Wes doesn write reports that short.

OK, I guess I can write a little more. I can tell you this, I know that pic was taken during our 3rd set because I broke the D string on my LP and had to use my Strat as a backup. My LP tends to break strings. I replaced the bridge awhile back because of this problem. It's much better now, but I broke one this gig.

Always carry a backup guitar. :D

I actually did get a few more pics from my friend. I swear this is the only pics he sent me (that I can post).

I got to tell you, I couldn't post all the pics, I would get banned from the site.

Momma, don't let your sons grow up to be cowboys. :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 01/06/2006 11:06 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

wes,

good job on the gig, ypu lnow probably better than anybody else, that you can't go wrong with the classics 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 03/06/2006 6:29 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks Rocker

You know, I had to convince my band to play Smoke on the Water. Because the song is so simple, and because everyone has heard it being played by thousands of beginners at music stores, nobody wants to play it. I have actually never heard a cover band play this song.

But I love this song anyway. And when I did finally get the guys to try it, we knew it was a winner. It sounded awesome the very first time we tried it. For our band, this song CLICKED.

And it just blew the crowd away at this gig. The place really went wild. You could feel the power.

Now I'm trying to talk them into learning Highway Star. Probably take me six months before they'll try this one too. :D

Posted : 03/06/2006 6:56 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

wes,

highway star is a great song, i think it would fit your band perfectly, and i think the crowd will eat it up, good luck 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 03/06/2006 8:42 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

LOL, I loved that song the first time I heard it, and I've never tired of it since.....it's a classic! Glad you got the guys to play it! How about tabbing it for easy songs? I'm sure most of us regulars there would be grateful.......

You want a great Purple song to do, one that always goes down well when cover bands play it over here is "Knocking On Your Back Door" - seems to be the one that everybody knows, sings along to, and boogies along to....maybe you'd better work it out before you come to Britain!

Glad the gig went well - just wish you were near enough for me to come and see, hell I'd gladly pay money to see you.....keep rockin' mate, and may you keep packin' em in and getting them dancing in the aisles.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/06/2006 1:09 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

When I first saw the picture I thought I saw a Strat headstock and my head said "hmmm, somethin' fishy" knowing you play a LP. That does look like a blast. Now all we need is a video to catch a few tunes.

Never would have thought to try SOTW. I've never tried the song but read it's easy-in the beginning. Haven't heard it in awhile but I'm thinking it gets much harder later in the song. Yea, every bar patron loves that song. I can see the fists in the air! 8)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 16/06/2006 10:15 pm