Clear all

Gig Report- Twist of Fate with guest David Hodge

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, ToF played this last Saturday at the Silverbrook Cafe in Sandisfield, Ma.. I probably wouldn't even be writing a report, as we got a disappointingly small crowd. This was a pickup gig, another band had cancelled, we got a call about a week and a half before the show and really did not promote at all. We usually get a nice crowd there.

We have not been playing a lot lately, and our practices have centered on recording 4 songs for a demo CD. So we were a little out of practice and probably made a few more mistakes than normal. But overall we did pretty good.

The highlight of the evening was that David Hodge showed up with his 12 string electric.

I was really glad to see David and Karen, and he got to meet the band. Dom our bass player was especially honored to meet David as he has been reading my copy of David's new bass guitar instruction book. And David was nice enough to bring a copy for Dom and autograph it. I think David has made a friend forever. :D

After the first set David came up. We started off with For What It's Worth, the old Buffalo Springfield cover, and a song David has a lesson for here. Man, did his 12 string add fullness to this song. It was the best my band has ever sounded on this song. David added all the rhythm guitar parts that I believe were played by David Crosby on the original. But he also played that famous little riff during the chorus played by Neil Young. Really great. And David is a good showman too. He was relaxed and having fun. Dom remarked to me later about that. One thing our band does not do well is that we look a little stiff on stage. You gotta move around a little and smile to the crowd. Well, David showed a great example.

After that David also played, Hey Joe, All Along the Watchtower, and Knockin' on Heavens Door. I really enjoyed every song, David is fun to play with. He is an impressive player too. He know his chords. 8)

Then David played his own solo version of Whiter Shade of Pale, the old Procol Harum cover and sang. Man, did he play a great arrangement. It was super. I just wish there had been a bigger crowd to hear it.

After that David had to go. We played two more sets and packed it in a little early as there was no crowd.

So a big thanks to David, he really made the show. I look forward to having him join ToF again.

Dom recorded this gig and is going to burn the songs to a CD. I may have a copy in a few days and I will post the songs David joined us on. Unfortunately, the tape ran out during Whiter Shade of Pale, so I might only have half of this song, but I will post it anyway. I also tried to take some pics, but our camera's battery was dead.

Oh well, what you gonna do? That's Rock N Roll.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 21/11/2006 8:57 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a good time. 8) Can't wait to hear the recording. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 21/11/2006 9:15 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Man, I would have loved being at that show. I've already told David and I'll tell you too that soon I am coming to see you guys play. Probably be next year at this point.

Good job in a tough situation Wes.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 21/11/2006 10:33 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Sound's like a great time Wes.

Sorry I missed it.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 21/11/2006 10:49 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Wish I was there!

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 22/11/2006 5:56 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Thanks for the report!

Would've liked to be in the audience for that one.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 22/11/2006 1:16 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats to David!

WTG!!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 22/11/2006 1:49 pm
(@davidhodge)

I think that Wes is being a bit generous with his description of my contributions to the songs! :wink: I know (and Dom's recording will undoubtedly bear out) that my mistakes were numerous and occasionally hilarious.

But I had a great time and the thanks to that go to Wes and all the guys in Twist of Fate. Karen and I made it in time to hear the whole first set and these guys are great! Wes and Lane have great complimentary styles and it's a lot of fun to listen to them work off each other. Lee is a terrific vocalist and Dom and Jeff hold the rhythm together flawlessly. It's hard to believe that Dom's only been playing a year or so.

If you get the chance to see Twist of Fate, definitely do it! You've have a terrific time. Their original songs are great and they do fun covers. I especially liked September and the Neil Young songs in the first set. And Another Brick In The Wall (part 2) as well.

Peace

Posted : 22/11/2006 2:01 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone.

David may have made some mistakes, we all do. Heck, he just joined in on the spot, never practiced with us once.

You know, playing gigs is not at all like recordings. Recordings are supposed to sound perfect. But playing live is just the opposite. If I hear a band play a song live note-for-note exactly like a recording, I am going to be disappointed. Really. I can listen to their record if I want to hear perfection. No, playing live is more about cutting loose and having fun. It is a party.

We play lots of covers and none of them really sound like the recordings we cover. We change the songs a lot. We add extra solos, or just jam out. We add our own parts to songs. We are not looking to play a note-for-note copy of the recording, we are trying to play a fun song the crowd enjoys and sounds good. And we improvise too. We never play a song exactly the same way twice, though we follow a basic form. But this is what is great about live music, it is spontaneous. I would rather listen to a live band anyday than recordings.

And David was great at this. He just got up there and jammed. It wasn't note-for-note perfect, but it had live energy and it was fun. And it doesn't get any better than that. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 22/11/2006 8:38 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Maybe you guys could start a GuitarNoise Tour.

Posted : 23/11/2006 8:07 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

wtg wes,

thats cool that david came in, wish i could have been there 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 24/11/2006 12:18 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wes: Can't wait to hear the recordings! I'm with you on the live vs recording thing, if a live performance got energy I don't care about mistakes/spontaneous improvisation. :D

Posted : 24/11/2006 12:57 pm