Notifications
Clear all

Gig review: Essex Guitar Orchestra, Satterthwaite 30 Jul

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

Eight members of the Essex Guitar Orchestra hit the road to the Lake District for the weekend for a concert in Satterthwaite, between Windermere and Coniston Water. We had reserved tables for dinner at the pub in the village both nights, and we filled the local B&B. Excellent food on the Friday, I had deep fried Brie and some Venison, Kath had poached salmon; and some excellent local ales.

Saturday morning, and after a huge breakfast at the B&B we marched round the hill to our musical director's friends' house to rehearse. After an hour of making sure we could play everything with only a small part of the orchestra present, we had time to ourselves. Kathy and I wandered off through the forest to the Grizedale Forest Visitors Centre, had lunch followed by Apple Crumble Ice Cream (you just gotta try this) and gently rolled back to the village. 4:30 - into the pub to set up and make sure we sounded good.

5:30 - Justin Thyme (two classical guitars and one electric bass) did their thing, and then it was our turn - music by Boccerini, Lennon & McCartney, Elton John, Purcell and Melvyn Willin amongst others. We had a couple of dodgy notes but generally played well and went down a storm. Headliners were Cragattack with folk and pop music from the 1960s. Good food - Kathy had the stuffed chicken and I had a chicken jalfrezi which set the taste buds dancing.

This morning, and another huge breakfast (I could have said no, I s'pose) and off we went to Coniston Water for some tourist-y stuff. We went out on the boat trip round the lake and had coffee and cream scones with strawberry jam.

And then we drove home. Off to teach tomorrow morning, the first of the Summer Sessions. Exhausted; good job the first one's not until 10:15

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 31/07/2011 8:40 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Glad it went well - but you could've let us know before! The Lake District is about a 45-60 minute drive from here - and there's plenty of GN members close to me. We could've got a coach trip together....well, OK, a minibus...but we could have made the effort to come support a fellow GN'er. IF....you'd let us know! (Or....did I miss a post about upcoming gigs? If so, my apologies - it's been a mad couple of weeks here.)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 31/07/2011 10:18 pm
(@alangreen)
Topic starter

Didn't even think of it - my Reverbnation page does automatic posts to Facebook, MySpace and Twitter from the concert diary so it didn't occur to me that anybody didn't know. I'll remember next time.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 01/08/2011 5:24 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Make sure you do let us know next time you're oop norf! Wouldn't it be nice for you to have a few GN people in the audience, rooting for you? Of course it would....meantime, good luck with your next gigs, Alan!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 02/08/2011 12:13 am