Clear all

Giving The Man Cave a Facelift

35 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I have been without my rehersal space the past few weeks. I decided to beef up the insulation and make it more of a proper room since we spend so much time out there. This stuff is a lot of work for sure! I had issues with inadaquit insulation and I know some here like the road house look it had but I want it to be a real room. It sat on a poured concrete foundation around the perimeter of the walls and to say the least it was not air tight. I gave up a small amount of square footage but I constructed all new outer walls that sit inside this foundation giving me double the insulation and walls that are almost a foot thick. I have a real insulated door instead of the home made one. I have done some work on the sloping ceiling that is there due to the shed roof and the support beam that crosses it and it's support beam are getting a coverup. I'm not done yet but getting there. I will finish it off by finally putting in a finished floor if you can believe that.

I could post a bunch of pictures but wouldn't a slide show of the history of The Man Cave with a little Wicked Fester music be more fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Zx9RYq-qM

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 04/10/2011 7:39 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

nice vid!!!

MAN that must have been cold before the first redo!!!

its a real cool room. Hows the sound with that sloped roof??

Paul B

Posted : 04/10/2011 8:40 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I think I have read that a sloped and or uneven ceiling helps deaden unwanted echo and feed back. I know it was good with just the slope. We will see with the new topography up there. Happy accident and making lemonaide out of lemons all in one! :mrgreen:

Posted : 04/10/2011 8:14 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Awesome Video, dude! I can't wait to see the next finished version. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 05/10/2011 11:48 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

That is super nice TR! I hope you are all comfy and cozy there in the winter months ahead! :shock: 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 05/10/2011 11:53 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice transition.
I too have been working on our band's work space. I call it a studio instead of man cave.
one thing I did to improve acoustics was to capitalize on the reduced price of carpet and rubber backing remnants at the local Menards store. great deals on sizable pieces. it does not sound proof, but the hard bounce is gone. amps, drums, vocals sound really good; warm, not bright and hard.

good job on the ceiling. sheet rock is a pain when you lift it above the head.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 05/10/2011 1:10 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Don't know what happened to my post from yesterday hmm. Anyway cool video man that looks like it took more work than I'd want to do never mind the construction.

I want my room to go back more to your cave llok. It's a finished basement with carpets but with everyone coming in and out and an occasional beer getting spilled the rugs are getting beat. I wish the room was a little "less" finished so I wouldn't care about it as much.

But I know you need the insulation up there it's cold enough in CT.

Looks good be cool to see the final video when completed of course along with a performance by Uncle Fester

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 05/10/2011 2:10 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Carpet is definitely out of the picture unless it is cheap indoor outdoor as spills and tracked in dirt are a concern. I might use the stuff I have in my kitchen. I'm so close to being done yet so far. I'm getting tired. :roll: I'll keep plugging away and definitely will update everyone with pictures.

Posted : 05/10/2011 6:24 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Getting there! Finally started putting equipment back out there even though I have a few little finishing touches to complete. I hadn't fired up an amp in anger in over a month! :shock: Man did it feel good!

Note the "Anti-Cat" door. The bottom panel is complete. I will do the top to match when I buy more twine and the whole thing will be painted white. Gotta cover those stairs up too. I'm thinking of covering them with a runner.

I need some trim or baseboards or something.

The ceiling is turning into a well polished turd. Certainly not perfect but alot better.

The rug feels good under my feet too.

Posted : 24/10/2011 11:23 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Cool!! I like the dark green.. Gives it almost a Irish pub look!!

Paul B

Posted : 24/10/2011 11:59 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's awesome, man! I love it. Agree on color, too. Nice and snazzy looking. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/10/2011 3:09 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Lookin' good, you make that room too nice though and the wife might claim it!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 24/10/2011 4:12 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

cnev's got a point. Might want to leave the man-smell in there. :)

Roy

Posted : 24/10/2011 4:25 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

cnev's got a point. Might want to leave the man-smell in there. :)
Ya... spill a few beers [if you drink...] dont shower for a few days, and just kinda hang around the room for a day after.... that should do it. :D

Paul B

Posted : 24/10/2011 4:51 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys! And yes, all good ideas of keeping the wife from laying claim but I already did the ultimate. She absolutely hates the color! :lol: It isn't perfect but compared to the 75 year old garage it was I think I like it.cnev's got a point. Might want to leave the man-smell in there. :)
Ya... spill a few beers [if you drink...] dont shower for a few days, and just kinda hang around the room for a day after.... that should do it. :D

He obviously hasn't watched any of our videos. :lol: Beer can mountain had to be moved in order to do this renovation.

Posted : 25/10/2011 1:27 pm
Page 1 / 3