Skip to content
GN 2009 Jam At Scry...

Notifications
Clear all

GN 2009 Jam At Scrybes (Report) - Now with Pix!

56 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

You could tell I was following the chord sheet?!?

Not until you adjusted it with your foot early on. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 18/05/2009 11:57 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You could tell I was following the chord sheet?!?

Not until you adjusted it with your foot early on. :D

LMAO! That's the way to do it!
I lurve the sound of my guitar! Heh heh, I have to get recording, and quick.

Yep, I lurved the sound of that tele too - you were lucky to get it back when you went for a drink and a sandwich and I picked it up! And yes, you DO have to get recording, and quick!

I'm like that with my Tele - next week, I should be able to get it back out of the pawn shop where it's been for the last couple of months. It's felt like a part of me is missing....but on the other hand, I've had to concentrate on acoustic, and that's improved a lot, I think - leastways, I could tell a big difference between this year and last year. Why would I put my beloved Tele in the pawn shop? Bills, bills, bills. It's the only posession I have that's actually worth anything and if I hadn't hocked it, it'd probably have been seized by the bailiffs.....

But after yesterday (well, Sunday!) it feels like like life is looking up again - hey, if there's music, there's hope. So I'm just going to keep on strumming, and noodling, and everything will work out. Of course it will, I'm an optimist by nature. My glass is NEVER half empty - it's always half-full.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 19/05/2009 12:32 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

and there'll be another jam at mine in a couple of weeks!! Once Rob (yashicamat) is done with his exams. We'll sort it out. Are there any other GNers who could make it?

I've been looking at interfaces....man, there's so much choice! And I keep going "yeah, but that one's way better and only £100 more.." working y way up the price chain to an old analog Neve console I couldn't afford in a lifetime's saving! I definitely need some help on this.

Hopefully, the old interface will gong a home courtesy of D&L.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 19/05/2009 1:02 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

How did my iPhone spell "find" as "gong"? How??? :roll:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 19/05/2009 1:04 am
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Great job guys,

Good steady rhythm work there Vic.

Awesome lead work Scrybe.

I second Roy's comment on your eyesight Scrybe. Just incredible!

Where I play open mic the guy who runs it is very precious about where he has placed the music stand relative to the microphone. It's ok if you are sat down but I sometimes struggle to read my lyric/chord sheets and sing into the mic at the same time if I stand up.

If you start to move things about Mike's out from behind his pint of beer like a ferret up a drainpipe to rescue his equipment from certain death at the hands of a short sighted guitarist. Wish I could remember lyrics parrot fashon but that's another thing that fades with age

Poor old Mike! we love him really!

All the best,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 19/05/2009 11:34 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Try a large font, two pages per song and put it in a little binder.

Posted : 19/05/2009 12:39 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey guys good stuff thanks for sharing the video. Vic your rhythm was right on and Scrybe, nice lead. Solid performances by all I thought :D .

cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 19/05/2009 7:07 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Well we're home! And it was a lot of fun, as noted above. There has become an unofficial tradition that Nancy and The Weight get played near the end (Laura and I didn't call it - honest!). We were watching the clock as we had a train to catch. Scrybe asked for Nancy, and THEN Vic asked for The Weight. We called the cab before we started, and bolted for the door when we finished. Which explains Vic's lost/left tuner. Barely gave Sara a decent hug good-bye.

Some notes: Vic came up with some great rhythm lines, including a masterful job on Sapphire. Also, note the counter chord-melody he plays during the break on The Weight - very clever.

Scrybe, like myself, needs a few takes to get comfortable with a song, however, she nailed Hey Joe (already on the RJ2K10 list) and had some great things to play for Nancy and the Jazzy TCB (sorry Greg - it's spread like H1N1).

Regarding the drummer, Angel from Montgomery has plagued Laura and I for months - we just can't get the timing right, and a drummer would have helped a lot. And I'm sure we would have rocked out some more as well.

Jacqui had a great time - she really added to some songs, and experimented with ones she didn't know. She's really starting to gain the confidence she needs to risk a mistake and keep going.

Sara is a gracious host - she hands around her guitars freely (at one point, Vic had two!) Vic is a wonderful guy to jam with. We'll do this again, not in 2010, but perhaps 2011.

And to the rest of you jealous folk - it's not hard to throw a jam, so get busy!

Posted : 19/05/2009 8:26 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

As all those present have said; what fun to have a Merseyside Jam! Vic, your playing is great, and indeed better than last year, but honestly, I thought it was fine last year. I figured you were being quieter as we had never met/played together. I love how our voices did harmonize nicely on The Weight. That's what you get for hours of playing together!

And Scrybe; I told you I was going to tell the world (at least as GN defines it) about your amazing Hendrix like lead ability. You certainly were fantastic on Hey Joe; I could have listened to that all day! Plus I love that you've played and enjoy different music than all of us classic rockers; that adds a nice dimension to your rhythm and lead parts. And thanks again for your hospitality. The tidying up may have been a pain, but the place was lovely, and there was lots of room for us to spread out.

Laz, you keep the beat as always, and make an honest woman out of me. Most days.

Lil Laz aka Jacqui, you had some amazing licks on both flute and alto. I'm proud of you for branching out and trying songs you've never played to before. There were some sweet improvs going on there.

All in all, lots of fun. I did like our weather sense; played Stormy Monday and then it poured. Played I Can See Clearly Now and the sun came out. Pretty much the theme of our UK visit. If you don't like the weather, wait 10 min, it will change.

Very much enjoyed the session. Would love to see both of you in Philly in 2010, or sooner. I know, the exchange rate favours us visiting you again, but who knows what it will be next year?

Posted : 19/05/2009 8:40 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

One word....

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

:D

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 19/05/2009 9:01 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

The photog is currently working on homework; Huck Finn, I'm told

But soon!

Laura

Posted : 19/05/2009 9:04 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Sweet! Must have been some kind of fun. 8) 8)

Scrybe, no fair showing off the power of a youngster's eye-sight. Following the chord chart from the floor whilest standing? I'm jealous.

Mr Vic, your vocals stood out quite well. Never a bad voice I thought, but seems like it was money this time.

+1 to both Roy's comments.

Reading the chart on the floor was awesome - I wish our group had that skill! We had our weekly jam yesterday (pretty rusty after missing a few weeks) and juggling music stands, squinting at sheets, cleaning spectacles, etc was a big part of the action, as usual... At one stage we all start playing the song on the right hand page - except the guy playing lead on mandolin, who was cheerfully playing a different tune, on the left hand page... :mrgreen: ... but it's all good fun....

Great work there folks. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 19/05/2009 9:32 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

that is one long piece of homework.

But...can you photoshop improvr any pics of me? Please? Before posting, obviously...

The suddenly self-conscious Scrybe.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 07/06/2009 5:08 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

But...can you photoshop improvr any pics of me? Please? Before posting, obviously...

LOL, yeah, where are those pics? Hmm - take more than photoshop to make me look good. Maybe a judiciously applied rubber to anything above my shoulders. Horrible thought - just realised when I wrote that, "rubber" means something different to our American friends. Please substitute the word "eraser" instead, guys!

Looking forward to jamming again - and looking forward to meeting Rob, too!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 08/06/2009 1:36 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

.....Horrible thought - just realised when I wrote that, "rubber" means something different to our American friends. Please substitute the word "eraser" instead, guys!

Looking forward to jamming again - and looking forward to meeting Rob, too!

Vic

OK...I'm not a prude by any means. But...>EEEWWwwwwww :lol: :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 08/06/2009 1:42 am
Page 2 / 4