Clear all

Got a new addition to the family - my first Strat

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

My wife is difficult to buy presents for, so I lucked out when she discovered a sale at the Coach (they make purses) store this weekend. I told her if she found something, then that would be my Valentine's Day gift. She had no trouble picking something out. So, she told me to go buy a guitar that I had almost bought a month ago, but ended up using the money for car repairs. I told her it was a deal on craigslist and I couldn't just run to the store and get that kind of deal. So, budget in hand, I scoured craigslist for a couple of days. Yesterday, I found a deal. It was about $40 higher than my budget, but close enough, right? The ad was probably all of 2 minutes old when I texted the guy and made arrangements to meet today. It's a 2010 Fender MIM Strat with the pickups replaced with the Texas Specials. Someone had tried to "relic" the knobs and pickup covers by painting them. Not crazy about that, but you can really only tell when you get real close. Plus, I can always replace those parts. Got it home and plugged her in and wow! It sounds amazing. The previous owner had it set up by a pro and the action is so low with no buzz. I can't believe I haven't had a Strat all this time. The different tonal options are so versatile. This is the same feeling I got from my Fender P-Bass when I got it. It feels like it belongs with me.

Some pics..

Headstock

With its big brother, my favorite bass. They have matching paint jobs and necks. (the bass has more yellow tint because it's older)

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 12/02/2013 4:40 am
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Nice. looks like they replaced the entire pickguard - unless they switched to single ply. Good looking. I have done the coach bag/ guitar exchange many many many times now. Its a good system.

Posted : 12/02/2013 3:51 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Very nice guitar.

Enjoy!

Posted : 12/02/2013 4:26 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Nice. looks like they replaced the entire pickguard - unless they switched to single ply. Good looking. I have done the coach bag/ guitar exchange many many many times now. Its a good system.

I think it's the angle or the lighting of the pic that makes the pickguard look off. Just looked at it right now and it's white and 2 ply. The black edging is invisible in the picture, weird. This is a good bartering system.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 12/02/2013 11:39 pm
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

I wouldn't say it looked off - crazy though, it certainly looked like a single ply pickguard on the pic. I do like white lately, I've never owned a white strat, cream but not white.

Posted : 13/02/2013 1:50 pm
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Best. Wife. Ever.

:D

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

Posted : 14/02/2013 2:02 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats, Jeff, and Happy Strattin'! It looks like a winner.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 17/02/2013 7:18 pm