GuitarNoise mirror? (save the tabs!)

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@fortheloveofgod)
Topic starter

Hey everyone!

PREAMBLE

I've been a rabid user of this site for a couple years now, it's taught me an enormous amount about playing guitar, not to mention being the single most fun way to learn...I won't go on preaching to the choir here.

I was pretty shocked when I first heard about the NMPA/MPA takedown B.S., then realized that it's really just another illustration of how broken the american copyright system is. It would make me really sad if the tabs that David (et al.) meticulously compiled to accompany all of the wonderful lessons were lost in the netherworld. And Paul's march 21 blog post wasn't terrible encouraging about the possibility of the tabs being reinstated. It really hurts the lessons to not be able to view the actual notes. If this were just some random other "guitar tab" site with compilations of usenet posts I wouldn't feel too bad, but this is literally the best guitar resource I've found anywhere. While it might be "less than a hundred 'unauthorized' guitar tabs" that were removed, I think they're very crucial and it's pretty important to me that they don't go away.

THE MEAT (or, for vegetarians, THE TOFU)

So...does anyone have a pre-takedown crawl of the site lying around they want to share?

Also, to the GN admins, I'm wondering what you think about the idea of a mirror? One other very similar story comes to mind, http://www.dylanchords.com/ (maybe the second best guitar resource : ) was created by Eyolf Østrem and he received the same harassment by MPA* lawyers that you guys did. So now, the original site no longer hosts the tabs and instead, there are mirrors set up that contain the original content.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you so much!!!

dan

Posted : 28/04/2010 2:12 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I imagine that if the lawyers know a U.S. citizen is hosting such a site offshore, they can still get him for it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 28/04/2010 12:46 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I imagine that if the lawyers know a U.S. citizen is hosting such a site offshore, they can still get him for it.
Or at least threaten to :?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 28/04/2010 8:11 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

P2P sources are easily traced, so not a good idea.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 30/04/2010 5:21 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I thought Paul was a Canadian citizen. :?:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 30/04/2010 10:06 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I seem to recall him running for Congress a few years ago.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 30/04/2010 12:30 pm
(@simonbu)

Dear Guitar noise
Sorry to hear about the unfair removal of the tabs, must be pretty upsetting. In my opinion I think there is an over reliance on tabs by beginners, it does make you a bit lazy and not try to transcribe the music by ear or learn to read music. Most of the great guitar would do this. I am starting to transcribe and read music now and wish I had started when I first picked up the guitar.
Perhaps some lessons on this would be good

Simon.

Posted : 01/05/2010 4:59 am