Clear all

Happy Groundhog Day, Everyone!

24 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

OK, I'll explain the connection between the quaint Groundhog Day tradition and our anniversary:

30 years ago I was in medical school in Birmingham, Alabama and the present Mrs. R was a college student living up here in Boones Creek, Tennessee. We didn't have cell phones and unlimited long distance calling in those days, so I wrote her lots of letters. I'd start one in the morning and jot bits on it all through the day, then stick it in the mail in the afternoon. One morning I got up, started one, and noted the date was February 2, 1978, which was Groundhog Day. So I drew a little cartoon at the top of the page of a groundhog standing beside his hole, with the sun in the sky casting a shadow. The letter started off being a typical chatty one but got more personal as it went along, and by the middle of the second page, I'd proposed marriage. I looked at it and said "Whoa! I can't mail this!" So I blew off an afternoon lab and drove 400 miles or so for an unscheduled visit to deliver the mail in person. The rest, as they say, is history.
:mrgreen:

(That was a Thursday, BTW, and I was back in class Friday morning in Birmingham.)
:shock:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 04/02/2008 1:20 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

No wonder you are pretty interesting, Ric. Even the little squirrels would appreciate that... :lol:.

Wishing you a long long anniversary and may you celebrate many more groundhogs !

Posted : 04/02/2008 3:05 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Rahul!

Posted : 04/02/2008 3:10 pm
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Something tells me he'll be breakin' out his johnson today. :lol:
I dunno how to ask this delicately, so I'll just blurt it out.....

Did you get to utilize your Johnson?

:run:

Posted : 07/02/2008 1:14 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'm sure you saw that I got a new (to me) extra-large purple domed end hand blown leaded crystal glass Diamond slide on Groundhog Day. Of course I utilized my Johnson.

Today I've been banging on my Johnson with a Craftsman 11/16" deep socket.

Here's my new Diamond, pictured with my Washburn actually: (I could show you my Johnson, but, well, I'm being modest.)

Posted : 07/02/2008 1:59 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Here's a somewhat better picture of the new Diamond, taken out in the back yard with my Johnson. A little dusty, but I guess you can't have everything. The Johnson's really in need of a good cleanup!

Posted : 07/02/2008 8:46 pm
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Good pic Rico

Posted : 08/02/2008 11:09 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

What's really funny is that it's the one I got when I accidentally clicked the button while getting positioned. None of the ones I carefully studied and posed were as cool. :mrgreen:

Posted : 09/02/2008 12:36 am
Page 2 / 2