Notifications
Clear all

Hearing is precious

25 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

So...GNers...loud noise has NOTHING to do with OTOSCLEROSIS.
Cat, your statement is true, but loud noise does also wear that stirrup bone, from the literature I've read. The Stirrup can either get build-up or get worn down. That's where the loud noise comes in in relationship to that area. Note though, that loud noise does indeed kill cells in the inner ear. You're not free from needing ear protection just because it does not cause Otosclerosis. I'm not trying to sound like an old man here, just stating that there's more than one way to kill hearing.
Criminy...forget the grommets or glue ear routine. Sheesh! What a bunch of hooey THAT was!!!
By grommets, do you mean tubes (as in myringotomies)? Regardless, this us a GREAT example why you have to go through all of the tests. With me, would find the exact opposite of your experience. Glue ear so bad that my ear-drum was impacted. In fact, having that tube (or grommet?) in there right now is what's keep hearing satisfactory for me right now. It should come out within a year. I'll have to have another one pretty soon after that or else the infection will start from the middle ear and start wiping out stuff, like my Mastoid Bowl in the temporal bone....again.

Your statement is true, but loud noise does also wear that stirrup bone, from the literature I've read. The Stirrup can either get build-up on it or get worn down.

Best thing, though, is you gots some hearing that you had already written off. What a bonus, eh? Oh, and don't you just hate the nose roto-rooter thing with the camera on it? That's been probably the worst in office experience I've had.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 18/10/2009 12:45 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter

My Goodness, Parker...of COURSE loud noise can damage your ears. What I thought I was saying (mind, you, I'm still pretty woozie) was that, specifically, otosclerosis isn't caused by loud noise. Luckily...over these many years...I've ALWAYS been smart with the dB levels hittin' me ear 'oles!

All in all...I'm well on the mend. Just like my left side hearing switched off in just one day...it switched back on this morning. I'm still tryin' tuh get my head around how that can just "happen"!!! It's like restringing my Ibanez and enjoying the first ten minutes of that new string-sound. In two days the packing comes out (it's kinda soldered in there with all that yuk and ear-schmutz) so I'm dreading that proceedure a bit. For all I know, there's stitches in there, too. Doc says it'll be another month before I can take "loudish noise"...his words, not mine. "Can ya talk decibels and frequencies, doc?" Seems like I'm the only sort of patient that can!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

Posted : 19/10/2009 3:29 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I was just trying to make something very clear to people (like young people who argue that nothing will happen) about the noise thing. Some kid could take that one out of context and run with it for years until his ears bleed. :roll:

Noise sensitivity after ear procedures is rough. You might be getting another audiologist test when they get the junk out of your ear. She'll have the before and after charts right there for you to look at if you ask. If done like over here, you'll be able to see how you hear in different frequencies. On mine, the graph just drops off the page at the end. Extreme low freq hearing loss for me. Supposed to be perm, but I got home after the last one and had to adjust all ofthe amps. Too much bottom end all the way around.

Sensitivity though. Ugh! Restaraunts, someone else's house blaring the TV, guitar stores, movie theaters, etc. Once your ear starts to feel better, ear plugs become your friend. Helps to muffle sound as I'm sure you know.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 19/10/2009 11:19 am
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hiya, Parker...yeah...they said I was able to retake that Audiologist's test again for comparison...which is entirely up to me...but no time soon seeing I'm sick and tired of all this medical crap. Hey...before this...three weeks ago...I had my heart arteries checked in the hospital, as well. I'm well and truly over the doctor visits for a bit! Basically, I tested my ear 'oles over the years with tones & volumes shot through recording software. I told the Audiologist that 3200Hz to 4000Hz was the worst (I'm talkin' NUTHIN"!!!)...with another spot up at 5600. Just today, oddly...I'm starting to hear things at the high end (5500 and up) in my mended ear (like someone has an overdriven tweeter near by) that my "good" ear doesn't hear...and this is through all that cotton! My truest test will be listening to my Rolex "burrrrrrrrr" like only a fine Swiss mechanical wind can create...haven't heard that in either ear in maybe five years. That's saved for the doc's office, tomorrow. (Sheesh! Now I'm thinking aboout getting the right one done!!!)

I'm chomping at the bit to get a project started with a talent I met here on GN, so hearing everything so...what's the right woid???...freakin' SHARP and CLEAN...ain't gonna hurt!

Cat

Posted : 20/10/2009 7:32 am
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Five weeks, today...and I can hear 100% percent again in my left ear! Still have some balance problems...but less and less each day. Some rather WEIRD side effects came and went...like the operated ear putting out just shy of one octave higher than normal...hearing people talk like like The Munchkins on The Wizard of Oz. Like I said: WEIRD! Week by week, the difference in pitch got less and less. For two days it sat at a perfect fifth above the right ear...which was nothing shy of pleasant and awesome...but once it came off these perfect intervals it was...geez...skin-crawling cringe time in my head!!!

Oddly enough...the doctor wondered if I could come up with an audio CD that shows these side effects.

Go figure!

Cat

Posted : 17/11/2009 11:00 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Awesome news, Cat. 8)

Roy

Posted : 17/11/2009 11:13 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Great news! May you continue to improve!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 18/11/2009 3:58 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Great news! :D

Posted : 18/11/2009 11:37 am
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

great news on the progression of your recovery ,
and facinating stuff aboput the side effects.

i can't help but wonder if yours are unique?

#4491....

Posted : 18/11/2009 3:35 pm
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I like to write harmonies up a fifth from the root. As my brain readjusted to a different weight of stirrip bone (new one is platinum covered with teflon)...it started up by hearing people talking as if they were on helium.

Slowly...day by day...it dropped toward the normal and actual pitch. But!!! For two-ish days it was at a natural fifth! Best sounds? A cruise liner with that "basso profundo" bass note...shadowed by my phony fifth above that! Awesome. The sound of a mosquito in the middle of the night...a sound I now CAN hear...was also up a fifth. The reverb out of my thongs flip-flopping in a nice rhythm...in a huge mall parking garage (yeah...people stared)...was worth the stares!

So imagine an earpiece...like an altered old Walkman...in which you could walk around with adjustable harmonies coming in. :?:

No kiddin'. It can't be all that tough to make...

Okay...time for a nap!

Cat

Posted : 19/11/2009 1:23 am
Page 2 / 2