Clear all

Hey! Southern Roots update!

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

It's been pointed out that I've been remiss in posted gig updates (Thanks Dan!) At this point I'll do a general update on "The State of The Southern Roots," then follow up with a gig review.

The first 4 months of 2012 were rough ones for us. New Year's Day greeted us with the unexpected departure of our lead singer. That wasn't a huge blow, since the remaining four of us reshuffled the song list, tossed out a few, and brought back a few from older set lists and carried on as a quartet sharing lead vocal duties.

April 1, George, our drummer had an aortic aneurysm burst. He died in his wife's arms before the ambulance arrived.

To say the least, we were crushed. This was the second band in which I've worked with George, and over the years he'd become a very close friend. Mel and Jeff had grown close to him also. Thanks to the support of our friends and family we managed to get through the shock. Thanks to Jeff Besselieu and Ken Bowie we met the commitments of our scheduled gigs while searching for a replacement drummer.

In May, Jeff Fletcher (a.k.a. "Fletch") consented to join us. We're his first band ever. While he's new to public performance. he's quite the accomplished drummer. He and are are both old hippies, so we get along well.

In June, we had a trio talented ladies ask us to let them audition for a lead singer spot. Shellie and Adrian were both top notch singers. Kathy hit us like a bomb, and literally clicked into place like a missing piece of a puzzle. So that's where we're at now: Current lineup:

Kathy Caswell - vocal, percussion
Mel McKinney - vocal, guitar
Jeff Broce - vocal bass
Doug James (Me) - vocal, guitar
Jeff "Fletch" Fletcher - drums

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 05/09/2012 4:45 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

A rough road, but you've ended up with a great band. Don't let Chris (cnev) find out you had 3 lead singers volunteer! Or found a new drummer in less than 2 months.

Your videos and clips are pretty good.

Now I'm not a country boy, but 2 Teles at the same time? Really? Is it possible to have too much twang?

Posted : 05/09/2012 5:52 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yes definitely you guys went through a tough time. I feel for you as we had our original guitar player pass unexpectedly. Yea having three good singers had to be a bonus we were lucky to find one. Yea and the one you ended up with is a lot prettier than ours too...Ha

Now drummers not sure what's up with them but I'm still getting emails about auditions and we stopped after something like 13 although we didn't audition anywhere near that many.

But you guys seem to have worked out the kinks and sound great so it seems like it's all working out.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 05/09/2012 6:11 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm sorry to hear of the horrific passing of your drummer. Really sad.

Glad the band is doing well now, though. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 07/09/2012 3:26 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

A rough road, but you've ended up with a great band. Don't let Chris (cnev) find out you had 3 lead singers volunteer! Or found a new drummer in less than 2 months.

Your videos and clips are pretty good.

Now I'm not a country boy, but 2 Teles at the same time? Really? Is it possible to have too much twang?

Re: replacements. One of the advantages of being involved in the local music scene for umpteen million years is knowing LOTS of musicians. That really helps when you need a sub or new meat. Plus, one lesson I learned very early on from my guitar teacher and mentor was: "NEVER burn your bridges. That band that didn't work out for you will still recommend you as a good person to work with to another 1000 bands."

Re: Twang! What is this "too much" you speak of?

Seriously though, none of my Teles sound even remotely like any of Mel's Teles. That's primarily because of our preferences in configurations in hardware. Mel's #1 is a classic 60's style Tele with higher output Alnico V pickups, ash body, and steel bridge saddles. Plus he runs through a blackface Deluxe Reverb which emphasizes those mid-scooped Fender cleans.

In comparison, I'm a nasty boy. My #1, the white Tele with black pickguard, is a classic 50's configuration. Lower output Alnico 2 pickups, which have far less midrange "scoop". pine body, and traditional three saddle "ashtray" bridge with brass saddles. Compared to Mel's sophistacated 60's axe, mine is a rude biker broad that would put the entire 7th fleet into a coma, then pout "Is that ALL?". Plus I tend to favor my '59 Bassman, a Blues Junior, or my battered Vox Pathfinder 15 with a bit of grit dialed in. That results in a sound that has a lot more raunchy midrange emphasis to the twang.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 16/09/2012 3:57 pm