HNGD - now with pics :-)

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Its here!!!!!! :-)

I wanted a second guitar without a Floyd Rose, then I could easily play tracks in a Drop D tuning, I''d decided on a Schecter - thank you to those that gave their opinions on the other thread I did.

My orginal thought was the Omen 6, but when tried it in the shop I didn't really like it, the sound seemed a bit thin after being used to the EMG's on my ESP, and it was really light - about a third of the weight of the ESP!

I then tried the Damien Elite, which I loved, it had EMG's and a mahogany body (like my ESP), and felt a similar weight.. But it was more that I wanted to spend...

So off I went trawling the internet, and eventually found a ex demo Damien Special which was at a good price, and ticked the boxes - EMG's and mahogany body, my only doubt was the colour as I really wanted another black guitar, and this was a dark red (called vampire moon apparantly!)

Its just arrived, and it is lovely, sounds good on clean, and even better on distortion :-)

I tried to take some pics for you all, but unfortunately dropped my camera (the excitement obviously!) and killed it :( , I did try to get off the 3 pics I'd taken before dropping it, but the lead has mysteriously vanished...

So hopefully pics will follow very soon... The colour is also lush by the way, I'm really pleased with it :D :D

PS - note to self check for typo's before pressing submit....

Posted : 01/02/2011 7:53 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on your new guitar! I can't wait to see pics. I'll have to check out some web sites to see what she looks like. Perhaps one day we'll be able to hear it too. :wink:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 02/02/2011 12:36 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats! :D

And don't forget the pics. And some audio clips, too!

Posted : 02/02/2011 6:38 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Ray & Nuno :D

Now with the pics of the new boy:-

The neck, with Gothic Cross inlay at the 12th fret:-

And a close up of the EMG's:-

Just played it in my lesson, and it sounds fab, i'm really pleased with it :D :D

Posted : 02/02/2011 7:01 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats again! The top is really nice!

Enjoy! :D

Posted : 02/02/2011 7:06 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Very nice ! Congratulations. I'm suprised you found the Omen 6 light. They aren't super heavy but do have some heft. They have a basswood body though and basswood is light. Mine wasn't heavy compared to my Les Pauls but did weigh a ton compared to my Jackson. I think all the weight is in the beefy maple neck though. My Jackson is basswood with a sliver thin neck and the body is thin as well. Mahogony guitars tend to be heavier. As far as the pickups I wasn't overly impressed with the ones on my Omen 6. I'm sure the EMG's sound much better. Can't wait to hear it.

PS You should have better tuners on your Damien as well. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 03/02/2011 5:31 am
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member

8) That is lovely - great colour and finish and I like the unmarked fret board. Hope I can see it for real soon!

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

Posted : 03/02/2011 4:27 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A beautiful-looking guitar, indeed. If it sounds as good as it looks.....!

Damien? Omen 6? You do realise you're going to have to learn "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana, don't you?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 03/02/2011 9:32 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice guitar. no fret markers looks cool, but I wonder how that'll work out.
the firsat pic shows it really black. I like that it has a nice top showing depth and color.

congrats and enjoy 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 04/02/2011 2:28 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

no fret markers looks cool, but I wonder how that'll work out.
My Ibanez ART100 has no markers on the board but I don't find it an issue. The dots on the side seem to be enough to tell where you are.

Posted : 05/02/2011 4:16 am
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Thanks Nuno
Very nice ! Congratulations. I'm suprised you found the Omen 6 light. They aren't super heavy but do have some heft. They have a basswood body though and basswood is light. Mine wasn't heavy compared to my Les Pauls but did weigh a ton compared to my Jackson. I think all the weight is in the beefy maple neck though. My Jackson is basswood with a sliver thin neck and the body is thin as well. Mahogony guitars tend to be heavier. As far as the pickups I wasn't overly impressed with the ones on my Omen 6. I'm sure the EMG's sound much better. Can't wait to hear it.

PS You should have better tuners on your Damien as well. :wink:

Honestly, after the ESP the Omen felt very lightweight :-) These EMG's def sound much better :mrgreen:
A beautiful-looking guitar, indeed. If it sounds as good as it looks.....!

Damien? Omen 6? You do realise you're going to have to learn "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana, don't you?

:D :D :D

Vic

LOL - I love O Fortuna, perhaps it will sound even better with loads of distortion :lol: :lol:

When things settle down a bit with work, you and Ray will have to come round for another jamming session.

Ray / Dogbite

I was a bit nervous about the unmarked fretboard, (although it looks very nice!) I've just put some tiny stickers on the side at the 3rd / 5th and 10th fret, and that seems to work fine, I'm suprised I don't miss the inlays more. I had ordered some stick on ones from Japan, but think I'll leave them off.

I'd never thought I'd admit this in a million year, but I prefer it to the ESP - so thats now in Drop D tuning... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Posted : 05/02/2011 12:38 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Doesn't it at least have the small dots on the side of the neck? Now that is 2 guitars ........ before you know it you will have twenty some like me. :lol:

My guitar with "NO" position markers

It does have these on the sides though

Posted : 05/02/2011 9:21 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats on the nice snag, Apache.

Having had several Schecters myself I know how nice they are. I currently am on my second C1+ and am very happy with the quality for the value.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 05/02/2011 9:32 pm
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

Nice Guitar Apache, Congrats!!! Your new #1 guitar (love it)!!! Love the color and I'm sure it "he" sounds just as good as it looks too!!!

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 08/02/2011 2:48 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Nice guitar!! Love that red quilted look to it!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 09/02/2011 6:15 pm
Page 1 / 2