13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

No strings this time :D

I bought it on Monday and yesterday I got my first class with a teacher. It is a completely different instrument to the others I already play so the teacher is almost mandatory. The technique is very important, I want to learn the correct way from the beginning, it is hard to fix wrong postures later. He also teaches piano so we will work on some exercises for hands dissociation and rhythm. I guess I'll improve my reading a lot.

A link to bigger images.

Posted : 12/10/2012 9:07 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

You'll have to start playing some Jethro Tull now...have fun with the new toy.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 12/10/2012 12:25 pm
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Haha, that's the first instrument I ever played!! :)

I think I played for little more than a year when I was in the third grade in elementary school. Never learnt it properly though (I had a professional teacher the whole time), but I learnt the basics in reading sheet music for which I'm very grateful for today.

I've thought about picking it up again and I recently saw one for €60 on a yardsale, but didn't get it. Still havn't got over the whole thing of being forced to take some kind of music lessons when I was a kid I guess.

Many years later (like 10) I saw my flute teacher when going to my guitar teachers lesson and he recognized me and said hi.

When properly played it's a wonderful sounding instrument.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

Posted : 16/10/2012 8:21 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ha Nik. In 5th grade a took up the trumpet mainly because we were all asked in school if we wanted to learn an instrument. I thought it would be cool all my friends signed up too. They all dropped out after a few weeks but my parents wouldn't let me. I pIayed for 2 years before I quit but the worst thing was they made me practice everyday for 1/2 hr after school.

All I can remember is looking out the window of my room wishing I was outside with my friends.

We did start learning to read music then but I have forgotten almost all of it.

Posted : 17/10/2012 11:11 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Ha Nik. In 5th grade a took up the trumpet mainly because we were all asked in school if we wanted to learn an instrument. I thought it would be cool all my friends signed up too. They all dropped out after a few weeks but my parents wouldn't let me. I pIayed for 2 years before I quit but the worst thing was they made me practice everyday for 1/2 hr after school.

All I can remember is looking out the window of my room wishing I was outside with my friends.

We did start learning to read music then but I have forgotten almost all of it.

Im at that point with my oldest daughter. Shes playing the trumpet also. Just started this year. [5 grade] Ya, as a perent its been tough to get her to focis on it!! Last night was rough becouse a new TV show was on.... :roll: I think the thing is they WANT to play something.... but whats open to them is liminted... she realy wants to try Piano, or guitar... but no space for them in band at this grade. I tell her to stick with it a little longer at least... becouse you realy need to prove yourself to get into band at a later date!!

Paul B

Posted : 17/10/2012 12:27 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Paul I played in 5th and then 6th grade. At the Spring concert which is what we practiced for a made #1 Trumpet in 6th grade.

That's really not saying much since there were only 2 or 3 or us in the first place. But I could at least play the few songs we did.

I hated to practice when I was kid and didn't really touch an instrument until recently my kids were older and I wasn't playing sports 24/7 anymore so I know have time to actually practice.

Posted : 17/10/2012 12:37 pm
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Yes, that was exactly my situation too, cnev. Forced to practice and looking out that bedroom window...

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

Posted : 17/10/2012 3:08 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

That's nice, Nuno.

I thought about taking up the piccolo after dragging drums around for 35 years. :lol:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 31/10/2012 12:08 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Bish.

It is being harder than I initially thought... No special problems with the fingerings but my poor ears are not ready for those high tones. The piccolos are even higher!

Yesterday I was talking to my teacher. I'll keep playing one month more and then I'll consider if I keep the flute or I change to a different instrument. Meanwhile I keep playing my guitars!

Posted : 31/10/2012 8:20 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I tried out an Alto Sax for a month a few years ago.

I actually liked it and learned to play it well. At the time, my oldest daughter was playing flute in school and one night she came down to play along with me. First thing she asked was, what key? I went.... :shock:

I was humbled by an 11 year old. :lol:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 31/10/2012 8:46 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Sax (mainly tenor) has a really nice sound. It's my favorite instrument in jazz. Rarely it is used in classical music (it is a very 'young' instrument) but it be heard in some contemporary works and also in some well-known pieces such as Ravel's Bolero.

One of my students plays alto sax. He was speaking to me about the instrument, the embouchure, the reeds, etc. The flute seemed initially easier. Although I am not able to play a C# in the lower octave yet, the other notes until B in the middle octave sound acceptably well.

As always... keep practicing...

Young people is dangerous... http://youtu.be/sH9j4mHGGkQ

Posted : 01/11/2012 11:30 am
(@spiritboy)

Congratulations!!! Getting a new flute is always exciting. May you have many wonderful years making beautiful music with it.

Posted : 30/01/2013 11:25 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thank you! Yes, indeed, getting a new flute or a new instrument is always exciting.

Posted : 30/01/2013 10:12 pm