I Quit Smoking - UPDATED

99 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
10.2 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

That's great!! Now of course you ARE going to tell us if you cheat right?? So we can jump all over you for cheating and make you get back on the quitting line?
Without question, I would post it in the thread. I wouldn't bet against m quiting. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 29/09/2009 4:28 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Oh Im not betting against you quitting, I've got the upmost faith in you quitting.

I've had to deal with both my parents quitting (well my dad anyway, my mom still cheats but doesn't think we know LOL)
My dad though he was getting something caused by smoking a while ago, something with his heart, don't remember what it was over 18 years ago.

But he had smoked for years and years and quit cold turkey. Turned out it the problem wasn't related to smoking, but hey, whatever works!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 29/09/2009 5:27 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I've had to deal with both my parents quitting (well my dad anyway, my mom still cheats but doesn't think we know LOL)

One time when I visited my Grandfather and Grandmother, I think we had 4 or 5 of my aunts and uncles there for a cookout. Those two vanished into the thin air, and I wanted a smoke. I lit up and jut kind of strolled about and stumbled into them behind the barn sneaking smokes. They had told their kids that they had quit smoking. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 29/09/2009 1:01 pm
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

Best of luck Roy I hope it works out for you. I quit 14 years ago and I was smoking 2 packs a day. I wont give you any advice as you have to find your own way with these sorts of things. Maybe 6 months down the line you can work out how much money youve saved from not smoking and invest in some new gear.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

Posted : 30/09/2009 9:19 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Way to go Roy, you wont regret it

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 30/09/2009 10:33 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I was away. Roy, any update? 8)

Posted : 05/10/2009 1:25 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Still going. 2 weeks, 10.5 hours of smoke free misery. Ooooops, I mean bliss. :lol:

Roy

Posted : 05/10/2009 1:44 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Keep up the good work Roy! 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 05/10/2009 3:50 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

you can do it roy!
i've heard from quite a few that the first 2 weeks are the hardest.
if that's true, then it's gunna start getting easier soon!

#4491....

Posted : 05/10/2009 4:54 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I've never made it this far before. My wife remembers an 11 day effort once. Last two years I seem to make it a few days, then cave for one and then one turns into two a couple days later, etc. Went many months last year smoking probably an average of 1 a day. I know I can't have the first one. Pretty simple after that.

Today is fairly easy so far.

Roy

Posted : 05/10/2009 5:18 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Now probably you are leaving the cigarettes that you smoke just of habit: after lunch, when you start to do something, etc. there is always a "good" reason... Now you must take care about the other situations such as parties, family meetings, etc. Remember there is not "one cigarette" for a "special reason", just the first one.

After two weeks I only can add: Congratulations! :D

Posted : 05/10/2009 7:14 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hang in there Roy

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 05/10/2009 7:41 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Now you must take care about the other situations such as parties, family meetings, etc.

Yeah, the "triggers" do get to me some. I've got a couple of social things that are triggers that I've been avoiding. I think I'll probably take care of them this week.

Roy

Posted : 05/10/2009 8:00 pm
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I don't know why everyone says this is so difficult! Why, I've quit smoking so many times... kidding, Roy. I really know what you're going through. Hang in there.

Something I find helpful is a new habit- drink herbal tea. Chew gum. Assault people who cut into line...wait, no, that one wasn't so good...

anyway, keep up the good work!

Ande

Posted : 05/10/2009 8:01 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

To quote the old Yardbirds song at you Roy, "Mister you're a better man than I am!"

Every time I quit, I'm determined this time's going to be THE time - but somehow, I always cave in. No willpower. None. Zero.

Sad, but true - nothing seems to work. I know all the arguments - bad for your health, wind, you can't put any power into singing. I see the gory pictures on ciggie packets....they're a bit nasty lately. You seen the one of the guy with the huge tumour on his neck? Yeech.....

Even the nicknames we give 'em are designed to put you off - cancer sticks, coffin nails - but somehow reasonable arguments, logic and common sense don't seem to apply when it comes to me and the dreaded weed. Sigh....when I think of the money I've wasted over the years, the guitars I could've bought....

All the best, Roy, stick at it - one of these days, who knows, I might just find the motivation from somewhere to join you in the non-smoking section.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/10/2009 9:01 pm
Page 3 / 7