Clear all

I Quit Smoking - UPDATED

99 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
10.2 K Views
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I just want to add my support to anyone who is giving up these dirty things ..
I am a heavy smoker myself and have tried many many times with no luck , I have heard people say its will power and I disagree , its Won't power that is the down fall , and I have truck loads of won't power ..
I won't give up until ....I make up some poor excuse , then when that happens I change the rules , living in a house full of women I have under taken the female motto of changing ones mind to suit myself :P
Sorry ladies lol
Congrats and good luck
Trev

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 12/10/2009 2:09 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

12:10 this morning was 3 weeks. I smelled smoke yesterday for the first two times time since quitting. Once was in a restaurant for 45 minutes. Still going strong. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/10/2009 5:03 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

keep it up Roy - sounds like your going strong !!!!

I thought about this thread today, my one year old daughter went into hospital last night with asthma - she's completely fine now and has just got out, but I did get a little annoyed when i could smell smoke from smokers outside comming through the open window :evil:

i just wonder how many of those smokers were patients also in there for respiratory problems??

Stick at it Roy - i am sure you are made of stern enough stuff to get through :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 12/10/2009 6:51 pm
(@davidwilliam)

hello everyone,

Smoking is injurious to health.i have never tried smoking in my life.I know its really hard to quit smoking as many of my friends are addicted to it and they are feeling hard to quit it.Its hard to hear that someone has quit smoking.It is nice that you has left smoking.Hope the momentum goes on..

thank you!!

Posted : 14/10/2009 4:49 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Keep it up Roy!! Just thought you could use a good word about now :lol:
As most of you know I work as a RN in a CVSD unit ( I taken care of open heart surgery patients). The conversation usually goes something like this:
Q: Do you smoke ?
A: No, I'm quit!
Q: Great...When did you quit?
A: The day before my surgery :roll: :roll: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 17/10/2009 12:49 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Thought I'd check the progress.

Sounds like you are still quitted?!?!?! :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 27/10/2009 11:34 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ayuh! I still be quitificated. 5 weeks, 1 day, 10 hours and 11 minutes....but who's counting. Not out of the woods yet. Still feeling urges as recently as this morning.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 27/10/2009 1:22 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Keep it up Roy! :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 27/10/2009 1:37 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Keep it up!!! That's great news!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 27/10/2009 3:11 pm
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Keep it up, you'll feel terrific after a few weeks (I hope :D )

Posted : 28/10/2009 7:04 am
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Well Roy, do you feel better? Are you noticing the health effects of quiting?

Posted : 29/10/2009 12:28 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well Roy, do you feel better? Are you noticing the health effects of quiting?

I wish I was. It'll be a couple more months still before my head starts to clear they say. Other than that, I'm just trying to keep from binging too badly and gain weight that I need to be dropping off.

I did have a physical back in August and my lung power was "not just really good for smokers, it's really good for non-smokers" according to the nurse.

No regrets though. No way it could hurt by quitting.

I have been able to get through some common activities that would trigger a light-up recently without the urges.Cooking, eating, getting out of the car, etc, etc.

Roy

Posted : 29/10/2009 1:15 pm
(@tj6968)

I'm new to this board but keep it up. Quitting smoking is a hard thing to do... especially after you have done it for a long time.

If you can keep busy and just avoid it during those really tough times then you will be good to go.

Posted : 29/10/2009 5:35 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks TJ, and welcome to GN!

Roy

Posted : 29/10/2009 6:23 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

WTG, big guy.

You'll be surprised how much smelling detection will return. It's amazing how many new smells and odors become apparent.

Take for example next summer when you go riding your bike, you'll be able to smell all the exhaust and going by gas stations with your eyes closed. :lol: Not that I recommend riding with your eyes closed, you understand. :lol:

Glad to hear you have resigned yourself to stay off the cigs! CONGRATS!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 31/10/2009 3:22 pm
Page 5 / 7