Clear all

I Quit Smoking - UPDATED

99 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
10.2 K Views
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Well done Roy, three months and no smokes is a fantastic effort. I must be about a month or so ahead of you, I gave up in August. Hopefully I have it cracked now as I can go out and have a few beers and not even think about smoking. Just remember don't give up giving up.
Good for you Roy. In the words of the old Yardbirds song, "Mister, you're a better man than I am!" I'll probably make my usual feeble attempt to give up on New Year's Eve at the stroke of midnight; and like previous attempts, it'll probably be doomed to failure when we've got the family round on New Years Day. Smokers, the lot of 'em....place'll stink like an opium den and I'll cave in.

:D :D :D

Vic

I seem to remember you giving up a few years ago Vic. Leave the giving up until the 2nd when they've all gone. Get yourself down to the quacks and tell them you want to quit. They really help, my wife quit same time as me and she was the last person on earth I ever thought would be able to stop. Oh and if you start again I will come up and paint your house claret and blue.
Way to go - I think you've actually nailed it now. Having a smoke now would make you feel like bleagh.

And, don't forget, you don't stink no more.

A :-)

That just has to be an Essex saying, no-one from out of the county seems to know what it means

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

Posted : 29/12/2009 9:02 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Most people have to quit several times. If it's worth it to you, don't give up!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 29/12/2009 11:59 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I used to quit in between each one. Now it's been a couple of years since my last.

Posted : 29/12/2009 8:01 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I seem to remember you giving up a few years ago Vic. Leave the giving up until the 2nd when they've all gone. Get yourself down to the quacks and tell them you want to quit. They really help, my wife quit same time as me and she was the last person on earth I ever thought would be able to stop. Oh and if you start again I will come up and paint your house claret and blue.

That might work - although I could just tell 'em to go outside for a cig. And what's wrong with claret-and-blue? My dad was from Burnley, supported them all his life - took me to Turf Moor quite a lot back in the 60's. Probably the biggest disappointment of his life when I decided to support Liverpool! Still got a soft spot for Burnley, though - always look for their result straight after Liverpool's, nice to see them in the Prem League - hope they manage to stay up!!!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 29/12/2009 10:13 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Man, I bet that we could come up with a book. "1001 Ways to Cave In - An Inspirational Guide for Quiters who want to Quit Quitting"

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 30/12/2009 8:45 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Having a smoke now would make you feel like bleagh.

That just has to be an Essex saying, no-one from out of the county seems to know what it means
Nah, we from "oop North" know it as well. "Bleagh" is onomatopoeic - it is best said with the same facial movement as when you find something disgusting on your tongue.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 30/12/2009 9:18 am
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

[quote="Vic Lewis VLThat might work - although I could just tell 'em to go outside for a cig. And what's wrong with claret-and-blue? My dad was from Burnley, supported them all his life - took me to Turf Moor quite a lot back in the 60's. Probably the biggest disappointment of his life when I decided to support Liverpool! Still got a soft spot for Burnley, though - always look for their result straight after Liverpool's, nice to see them in the Prem League - hope they manage to stay up!!!

Vic

Burnley probably have more chance of staying up than the not so mighty Hammers :cry: :cry: There doesn't seem to be a lot of fight at the Boleyn ground these days, Man Utd were there for the taking and they smashed us 4 - 0 :twisted:

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

Posted : 30/12/2009 10:54 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You've got to be kidding! It certainly works here. I might not have spelled it the same way, but say it now and then.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 30/12/2009 2:35 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Way to go, Roy. I know how tough it can be and you've done well, my friend.

Keep the good reports coming!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 03/01/2010 11:58 pm
Page 7 / 7