Clear all

I'm Playing Tomorrow Night!!!

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Nothing major, just a few acoustic songs backing a mate who's singing, but its my first 'gig' in years (due to me packing in guitar playing for a while), so I'm totaly stoked! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If anyone is in the great cty of Liverpool and fancies swinging by, we'll be at Hannah's Bar from 9pm and I'm pretty sure its an open-mic night that my friend is running, so feel free to drop by and awe us all with an acoustic medley of zakk wilde's greatest hits...... :wink:

we'll probs be playing Little Wing, Cocaine (which I can't find the bloody disc for, so I've had to, um, well, 'reinvent' it somewhat :shock: ), and maybe some other Clapton or some Neil Young. might throw in someDylan if we get really stuck (the major downside of putting down the guitar for a while is how easy it is to forget huge chunks of songs, so Dylan's a safe bet for a newbie-comeback gig).

will post on saturday with a low down of how it went.

and, once I've got through the drudgery of ordering gear and planning my music future (which will occupy me for the next week or two), I'll be back to posting regularly and participating in the Songwriters and Composers forums! :lol:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 03/01/2008 9:59 pm
(@davidhodge)

Good luck and have fun!

We'll look forward to hearing how things went.

Peace

Posted : 03/01/2008 11:16 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Best of luck on the gig. I bet you'll have a blast

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 04/01/2008 2:23 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Good luck

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 04/01/2008 2:52 am
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

Sweet news! Have a great time. Performing is a thrill. :)

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

Posted : 04/01/2008 7:36 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys, just come back from my mate's where we had a run through of some songs and its sounding good - my 'reinvention' of Cocaine is fine (that means he didn't stop singing to say "That's NOT how it goes!!! :wink: ). Just gonna grab some food, some warm gloves (I hate british weather, lol) and then off into town.

We might, and I stress the might even start a blues band. My friend's a drummer, but he's got a really good voice, v. expressive (made jamming a total joy) and we know a decent bass player, so..........you never know. Lol, who ever said women can't make guitar-heroes? :mrgreen:

All in all, so far 2008 seems to be shaping up for me much better han 2007 did. Woo hoo! :P

More will follow after gig..........

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 04/01/2008 5:58 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

lol, I've only just woken up :oops: (it's just past 4pm over here). in true rock and roll style, I didn't get in until somewhere around the 5th hour of the morning :shock:

I ended up closing the night, and re-experienced a lot of thos first-gig surprises (not being able to hear the guitars as well as in informal jams, suddenly realising that bar stool+acoustic guitar+female body=worries about dropping guitar :roll: ). Suffice it to say I didn't drop the guitar, but it certainly did affect my playing, having to wresle with it so mch (when I used to play regularly, deciding where to stand, how to stand, what to sit on, etc., was second nature). but that's the kind of thing you just have to go through after any break from playing IMO, and if you don't go through it you're just gonna waste viable playing opportunities.

weird thing is, I didn't feel the 'stage fright' that always used to plague me. I've said before that in some ways not playing for a while was a god thing, as it changed my attitude, tauhgt me to listen more, etc), and I stand by that. last night, I didn't feel I had anything to prove, I just wanted to have a good time, and hopefully give the audience a good time watching/listening to me 'groove' - any nerves were completely out the window. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

a young girl got up and sang before I played and she totally killed the audience with a version of Nina Simone's classic Feeling Good (complete with accapela intro) - she has a voice that's kind of a mix of Macy Gray, Nina, and Amy winehouse (the kind of voice you're either born with or you're not, tone-wise). a busy bar that had ignored the previous muso's were in the palm of her hand by the third line - even the bar staff stopped serving ppl and just stod there watching. usually something like that would have really unnerved me (how could anyone follow that, lol), but it didn't. I just realy enjoyed her set and tried to show my pleasure in my playing and it worked really well.

I'm sure I got a lot of 'props' for being the only chick-guitarist, but think the set went well enough to justify +ve feedback, despite the occasional fluff due to not having played live for a while, so al in all, a v. v. v. good andthere's gonna be lots more of them! :mrgreen:

AND.....................I found out that a kid I recall from school as a young bass player is now the bassist in the band CHERRY GHOST, whose album has been no.1 (apparently ASDA <UK versh of WALL-MART, kinda> has sold out of their album). They've played major UK festivals like Glastonbury and Reading, so check them out. (I know how hard Phil has worked over the years, so his success has been earned and I think that merits a little listen - they're probs up on youtube or something).

Now, to start that blues band, get into doing the songwriter's forum, and learn to sing......

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

Posted : 05/01/2008 3:58 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Now, to start that blues band, get into doing the songwriter's forum, and learn to sing......

It's good to have a plan 8)

Congrats - it sounds like you had a great time. Don't let the pause before the next one be quite so long!

Posted : 05/01/2008 8:41 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Excellent gig report. Glad you had a great time.

Makes getting back to it worth while, huh? :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 22/01/2008 1:58 pm