Clear all

Independence Day !

28 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter

So, we are celebrating our 61st Independence Day here in India on 15th August, 2008 :D

Vande Mataram !

Posted : 15/08/2008 9:25 am
(@alangreen)

Well, congrats & all that

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 15/08/2008 9:49 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You can celebrate properly after you've beaten us at cricket in December!

BTW, Rahul, what DOES "Vande Mataram" mean?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 15/08/2008 10:06 am
(@alangreen)

I have 15 people who report to me working in Hyderabad.

They've just taken a 20-minute break to go take part in the celebrations. I'll dock their pay.....

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 15/08/2008 10:18 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I have 15 people who report to me working in Hyderabad.

They've just taken a 20-minute break to go take part in the celebrations. I'll dock their pay.....

A :-)
You should be over there, to keep an eye on them

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 15/08/2008 10:27 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

happy independence day!

of course, on this forum, it is one world.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 15/08/2008 10:50 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter

BTW, Rahul, what DOES "Vande Mataram" mean?
Vic

Vic, 'Vande Mataram' is the national song of India. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vande_Mataram

When sung it fills me with a great feeling. Something incomparable.

It sounds great on the guitar as well. Played in D.

Posted : 15/08/2008 11:33 am
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Happy Independence Day, Rahul! :D :D :D
Hope you have a great time.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 15/08/2008 11:49 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Congratulations!

National anthems are usually good emotion stirrers. The Star Spangled Banner can sure do it for me, but I can also drive my wife and kids nuts by singing all 4 verses. Last month on the 14th I was bugging the office girls with La Marseillaise. :mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 15/08/2008 1:21 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Congratulations!

National anthems are usually good emotion stirrers. The Star Spangled Banner can sure do it for me, but I can also drive my wife and kids nuts by singing all 4 verses. Last month on the 14th I was bugging the office girls with La Marseillaise. :mrgreen:
It's not the national anthem, that's something else. Britain has something similar - Land of Hope & Glory. In Oz, they have Waltzing Matilda. National song, not national anthem.

Oh, and Happy Indpendence Day.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 15/08/2008 1:27 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You're right, Greybeard. Anyway, it works to annoy the office girls here in the U.S.

Tennessee has a popular state song, "Rocky Top," that is similar in its basically antisocial sentiments to "Waltzing Matilda." Whereas the latter is about a vagabond sheep thief with a "You'll never get me, copper" attitude who dives into a stock pond and drowns rather than be arrested, "Rocky Top" has verses about moonshining and making investigating government agents "disappear." Along with a bit of kiss-and-tell innuendo.

We usually don't sing the verses of "The Star Spangled Banner" that talk about routing and slaughtering British soldiers and German mercenaries and how "their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution" these days.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 15/08/2008 2:06 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Y
Tennessee has a popular state song, "Rocky Top," that is similar in its basically antisocial sentiments to "Waltzing Matilda." Whereas the latter is about a vagabond sheep thief with a "You'll never get me, copper" attitude who dives into a stock pond and drowns rather than be arrested, "Rocky Top" has verses about moonshining and making investigating government agents "disappear." Along with a bit of kiss-and-tell innuendo.

In most places, mothers sing "Rock-A-Bye Baby" to their babies, here they sing "Rocky Top". :)

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 15/08/2008 3:37 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Independence from Britain?
Yeh, we threw off the yoke too.
They made the mistake of taxing their tea.
How dare they! And the tea wasn't even from Britain!
They imported it from . . . India?

Hey, the American Revolution started in India?!

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 15/08/2008 3:45 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

We usually don't sing the verses of "The Star Spangled Banner" that talk about routing and slaughtering British soldiers and German mercenaries and how "their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution" these days.

No, you don't need to, you just stand in the doorway with a bloody great big musket loaded for bear.......that'll turn those footsteps pretty quick!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 15/08/2008 3:58 pm
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Congrats! I'm covering the ON-CALL for the "offshore" team so they can celebrate!

Bob Jessie

Posted : 15/08/2008 4:01 pm
Page 1 / 2