10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

It was 40 years ago today,
The Beatles landed in the USA.....

well ok it was 40 years ago today that the fab four played their first American gig......at the cow palace in San Francisco......

I was only a kid at the time .......but I still remember the excitement, the buzz if you like that followed the Beatles around....one thing's for sure, no other band has ever had the same impact.......and probably never will again.....

God I wish I'd been old enough to see 'em at the cavern, that really would be one to tell the grandkids about.........!!!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 19/08/2004 6:44 pm
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Long Live Paul and Ringo. RIP, John and George (You are both missed dearly)!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

Posted : 21/08/2004 3:50 pm
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

My wife lived on the west coast when they played there and was about 6 years old and remembers driving with her dad they had to go past the theater and were caught in an emormous traffic jam. Her father's displeasure with the Beatles for this undoubtedly played a part in my wife becomming a huge Beatles fan when she grew up. :D

Posted : 30/08/2004 3:21 pm
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I was too young to see them live also but I remember watching them on Ed Sullivan. You could hardly hear them over the girls screaming.

I'm planning on trip to England this summer just so I can go to Abbey Road - Liverpool - I heard they (Liverpool) are building a Beatles visitor's center. Now, my girlfriend wants to see Big Ben, The Castle, yada - yada -yada and I have tell her "Hey, Focus!". That's what regular tourists do - boring!

I know some people in Scotland, maybe I'll take a quick trip there - I don't know?

BJ

Posted : 19/01/2005 6:27 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

You're getting just a little confused there, Clide...Abbey Road is in London, it's the recording studio they used to use....but the Cavern is still there...sort of...it's still in Matthew Street but has been knocked down and rebuilt....

there is a Beatles exhibition, well worth the admission price....and hey, you need a guide, I'll volunteer my services....even got a spare bedroom, save you and the girlfriend a night's hotel charges....

get in touch with me a little nearer the time......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/01/2005 12:00 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I remember back in 1964 , I was about 6 or 7 years old we lived in a old apartment building and a older kid lived right above us (he was about 11 years old) would play Beatles records as loud as possible all hours of the day. I remember my folks (my dad mostly) having a fit over it, not to mention the long hair :lol: :lol: us younger boys would slick the front of our hair down with some max factor hair grease so we could be like the fab four 8) 8) -There are other great band but the Beatles are the greatest rock band of all time :D :D :D :D LONG LIVE JOHN AND GEORGE :!:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 20/01/2005 4:02 am
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

You're getting just a little confused there, Clide...Abbey Road is in London, it's the recording studio they used to use....but the Cavern is still there...sort of...it's still in Matthew Street but has been knocked down and rebuilt....

there is a Beatles exhibition, well worth the admission price....and hey, you need a guide, I'll volunteer my services....even got a spare bedroom, save you and the girlfriend a night's hotel charges....

get in touch with me a little nearer the time......

:D :D :D

Vic

Yea - I kind of wrote that wrong! I know Abbey Road is in London but I didn't know the Cavern was? I was assuming that was in Liverpool?

Thanks a bunch for the offer. When is a good time (time of year) to visit London. I was thinking July, but I'm always wrong anyway!

Bob Jessie

Posted : 20/01/2005 2:19 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

To visit London....June would be about the best time, it's what we laughingly call summer over here....but it's before the kid's summer holidays, so it's just going to be mad as opposed to totally frantic....

So say from mid-June to the end of July.....

And the best of British!

:) :) :)

oh and yes, the cavern & the Beatles exhibition are both in Liverpool....

Posted : 20/01/2005 8:55 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Newsflah just in.....Britain isn't bidding for the 2012 Olympics.....the Government has given way to public opinion and has earmarked the money to build a roof instead.....to cover the whole country......

Posted : 20/01/2005 8:58 pm
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

So, since Sgt. Pepper's say '20 years ago today', should I play it twice? :lol:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

Posted : 21/01/2005 1:52 am