21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member
Topic starter

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stories/031411jovi

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 16/03/2011 2:54 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I don't think Steve Jobs killed the music industry, I think greedy backstabbing, filthy dirty record execs killed the music industry.

It seems you used to tour to promote your album, now you tour and have to charge higher prices to make a living because of all the money the Record companies get.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 16/03/2011 3:09 am
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I don't think Steve Jobs killed the music industry, I think greedy backstabbing, filthy dirty record execs killed the music industry.

It seems you used to tour to promote your album, now you tour and have to charge higher prices to make a living because of all the money the Record companies get.
Ditto that!!!! I personaly think its better then ever. Not just the Itunes thing, but the whole underground music, youtube etc.. FAR more GOOD music out there...you just have to dig... Your dot restricted to the few bands that that the record companys crammed at us... Just as a example look what Joe Bonamasa has done. Some people are calling it the new busness model, and looks to be much better for the proformer, and the fan!!!!

Paul B

Posted : 16/03/2011 12:19 pm
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Not killing John, but iTunes is transforming the music industry, and it needed transforming in my opinion. Arguing for the days when people had to buy albums based only on the cover art is absurd. It may have been better for the record labels, but it sure wasn't better for the listeners. The system now is much more democratic. People buy what they like and only what they like. They no longer have to take 9 tracks of crap to get the single song they like.

What iTunes is killing however is the concept of the album as a unit (i.e. Pink Floyd's The Wall). Now, it is just a container for songs. Since you can buy any song as a single, artists have no motivation to create albums of interconnected tracks. In fact, they are incented the other way, to ensure that each song stands on its own. This makes for better songs, but does it make for better albums? I guess that depends on what your definition of album is.

Posted : 16/03/2011 12:32 pm
(@aragorn)
Trusted Member

Also competition from other forms of entertainment is killing the industry (and by that I mean record companies, not artists). When I was my son's age (grade school), we all wanted to buy records from our favorite bands (KISS was big at the time). Neither my son nor his friends have any interest in buying CDs, or even iTunes. They want Wii games.

Posted : 16/03/2011 5:55 pm
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Great point. Listening to music with my friends was a social activity of my youth. For many, that is being supplanted by online gaming, etc.

Also, I'd say I don't play songs for friends much anymore. Most of my listening is done either while alone in the car, or via earbuds while running (also alone). For me, I assume that others have their musical taste and I have mine. I don't spend much time "promoting" my favorite bands these days. If others are like me, maybe that contributes to the decline of the industry as well.

Posted : 16/03/2011 6:55 pm
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I figure it's sort of been part of a long process- music, which was once pretty public, gradually becomes a sale-able commodoty. I don't blame i-tunes. They're just the latest step in a chain of (to me) reprehensible events.

It isn't i-tunes that ticks me off: It's the i-pod. Not because they aren't cool, but because everywhere I go, I see people with their headphones, shutting out the world, using music to SEPARATE PEOPLE FROM PEOPLE.

It didn't use to be this way, folks. I've spent time in the few parts of the world technology has yet to reach. Where people live without ipods, without downloads, without MPanything, music brings people together. Cause they don''t listen to music, they make it.

Never been to a house party in Ecuador without a guitar on the premises. One of my best experiences ever was stuck in a picnic shelter in Myanmar, while the monsoon poured down, with a dozen strangers and one guitar. It got passed around, everybody who knew the words sang.

I sucked bad at some of the songs I tried to play. Nobody cared. :-) It wasn't about showing off, it was about sharing life. (Life and music are the same.)

Itunes is a symptom. WE are killing the industy. By letting it be an industry in the first place.

Music is for sharing, not selling.

Ande

Posted : 16/03/2011 11:43 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think a good that has come from this is that artists aren't making the money off record sales so they need to gig to make money. Now for the big acts, well ticket prices are another story ........ but the not so big acts have to do it with volume. Fairs, festivals, club gigs...... amusement park gigs. I have heard professional musicians say .... you used to tour to support your record. Now you make records to support your tour. Obviously with less money out there the record companys are likely less supportive of the artists, but in this day and age do you really need a big label to make a record? I think things are just changing, thats all. I have read an artist would recieve $1 for each album sale. Who was getting the other $14? It certainly is/was a big machine. Remember the old days of payola?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 17/03/2011 3:00 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

No love for music execs, artists or anyone else.

I think it's an artifically inflated industry that we've been told for years how we can buy it, when and how much we need to pay.

I don't think 30 yo classic rock songs are worth $0.99 either.

Bon Jovi complaining about iTunes and the good ol days of vinyl. Heck I've bought planty of vinyl records and pay $12 and up and still only get one decent song. Just because a song got put on an album doesn't mean it's good.

I don't have a problem with ITunes in principal I like it since I only want a song here or there now. Anything music over about 20 years old should be about $0.05

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 17/03/2011 4:14 pm
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

The more I think about this, the less I think the problem is iTunes. If you want to blame an Internet service, blame YouTube or even Facebook / MySpace. You can listen to just about anything ever recorded with a quick search. Add in Internet radio like Pandora, and you have to wonder why you would want to own anything.

Posted : 17/03/2011 5:44 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

I must admit I don't think it is the IPod that is the problem (not that I'm biased as I own one!) back 20 years ago people had their Sony Walkmans and other personal cassette players...

I think part of the problem is down to the availability of music over the net, that it is more readily available, but then again, what was different from taping the weekly charts on a cassette player? (OMG I sound old now!) or taping Vinyl for your friends etc, music sharing has always existed, but the net and current technology have made it easier...

I've never bought one song, I've always bought the album as I like to hear the other songs..

Posted : 17/03/2011 6:50 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

It didn't use to be this way, folks. I've spent time in the few parts of the world technology has yet to reach. Where people live without ipods, without downloads, without MPanything, music brings people together. Cause they don''t listen to music, they make it.

---

Never been to a house party in Ecuador without a guitar on the premises. One of my best experiences ever was stuck in a picnic shelter in Myanmar, while the monsoon poured down, with a dozen strangers and one guitar. It got passed around, everybody who knew the words sang.
-----

Music is for sharing, not selling.

Ande

Terrific post Ande. :D

It's a great shame that the long tradition of shared music making at home, in pubs, and among friends has eroded so much over the last few decades. 'Consuming' music has its place, but you can't beat making it, and joining with others even if it's in a very minor role.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 18/03/2011 12:44 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Chris!
Welcome back . . . where have you been and what have you been up to?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 18/03/2011 1:28 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I must admit I don't think it is the IPod that is the problem (not that I'm biased as I own one!) back 20 years ago people had their Sony Walkmans and other personal cassette players...

I think part of the problem is down to the availability of music over the net, that it is more readily available, but then again, what was different from taping the weekly charts on a cassette player? (OMG I sound old now!) or taping Vinyl for your friends etc, music sharing has always existed, but the net and current technology have made it easier...

I've never bought one song, I've always bought the album as I like to hear the other songs..
OMG, I STILL HAVE some of the radio recorded cassettes from back when the Cincinnati Bengals went to the Super Bowl in '88!!

WOW!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 18/03/2011 8:52 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

OMG, I STILL HAVE some of the radio recorded cassettes from back when the Cincinnati Bengals went to the Super Bowl in '88!!

WOW!!

But do you still have any medium to play them on? LOL

Posted : 19/03/2011 10:33 am
Page 1 / 2