Clear all

Jam Session #2

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

My bass player friend and I had our 2nd session Wednesday night. To best of my memory,

Dead Flowers, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Promised Land, Honky Tonk woman, Folsom Prison Blues, Country Honk, Keep On rocking In The Free World, It's Only Rock & Roll (But I like it), Proud Mary, American Girl and Sympathy For The Devil.

There were a few more that we snagged from my booklets of chords sheets. I'm still not too thrilled about playing a song with someone unless I know that song very well.

We tried to do Back In Black. He was having no problems with it. It was my bad all the way. I could never keep up. More practice needed.

Over all, though, I am getting a little better playing with another musician rather than just me, myself and I. He brought over a different bass and I could hear this one. It made it easier to follow his lead during those tricky timing parts. I even took the lead during the instrumentals instead of just playing rhythm on at least two songs. FPB and Proud Mary (I think it was that one).

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 03/12/2010 12:40 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Those are a lot of songs! Don't worry about Back in Black, you'll get the next session! :wink:

Posted : 03/12/2010 2:03 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Way to go. What are you guys using for drums? A backing track? Nothing just you and bass?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 03/12/2010 2:21 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Way to go. What are you guys using for drums? A backing track? Nothing just you and bass?Don't worry about Back in Black, you'll get the next session!

I'd never tried this at speed before. I was a bit slow and could never keep up. Then I started doing stupid open chords instead of power chords which made it sound muddier......ugh!
Just me and him. No drums or backing tracks.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 03/12/2010 2:37 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats cool Roy! We just added Keep on rocking in the free world to our set list. Right now we are rehersing without any percussion or backing track. Our drummer had to go into the hospital and get his hand taken apart and put back together again to clean up infection. He is on antibiotic therapy at home now and is healing. We are just waiting for him to get well. So ...... once we get going and finally get out to gig, if you are around Roy and I ask you where your guitar is ........ grab my backup axe and it will be Keep on rocking in the free world in 1 .... 2 .... 3 .... and 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 03/12/2010 11:00 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Cool man, just keep on playing regardless if you know or not, it'll only make you better!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 04/12/2010 4:39 am